FEL bucket not staying up

/ FEL bucket not staying up
My bucket was doing the same thing I cured the bucket and held it on relief for a min. then felt the top end of the cylinder and took apart the one that was warmest.This is what I found.
View attachment 546625
Loader only has 1 year warranty but the dealer gave me a new piston end. I suspect this was damaged from new. The bucket is starting to do the same thing on occasion but so far holding the cure on relief isn't heating 1 cylinder more than the other.

My tractor is a 2013. I have noticed over the past few months the curl position when up was bleeding down slowly which told me the seals were weakening. Guess they finally gave out ! How old is your tractor? Was it difficult to pull the assembly out of the cylinder ?

/ FEL bucket not staying up #22  
Very easy to change 1st one went at approx. 300 hrs. I now have over 700 hrs. I never had to change any seals on my last small case tractor in 4500 hrs.
Pull the pin on the bucket end , undo the end of the gland pull out the rod and piston. At this point you will see the problem and either replace the damaged seal or all of them or the entire piston for $74 + tax.

Very easy to change 1st one went at approx. 300 hrs. I now have over 700 hrs. I never had to change any seals on my last small case tractor in 4500 hrs.
Pull the pin on the bucket end , undo the end of the gland pull out the rod and piston. At this point you will see the problem and either replace the damaged seal or all of them or the entire piston for $74 + tax.

Thanks for all the info ! I was going to take the complete cylinder off....but your way makes much more sense ! I have 640 hrs . I use the loader somewhat hard, so I guess I got good use before the seals went bad ! I will pull the piston and rod out tomorrow morning and see what I need to order. I priced the complete seal kits at $106 for each cylinder. Where did you get your parts for $76 ?

/ FEL bucket not staying up #24  
I found my receipt the seals by themselves came to more than buying the seal kit piston item # CK08-0200-P $88.65 + tax from the dealer

/ FEL bucket not staying up #25  
I might be thinking backwards but the curl cylinders are sucked in in the curl position & push out to dump. If this is the case the oil in the rod end leaking back to the full bore would be less volume therefore allow the bucket to dump with a bad seal.

I suppose you'd have bit of a vacuum situation here, trying to expand the volume of the hydraulic fluid.

Took both cylinders apart. Bad upper seals. New parts on order from Michigan Iron...$225.

20180402_111254.jpg20180402_111234.jpg20180402_111213.jpg20180402_111153.jpg

/ FEL bucket not staying up #27  
Not that bad $225 , Hope the new seals last longer

Not that bad $225 , Hope the new seals last longer

I use my loader somewhat hard so needless to say the seals take the beating ! Seems that very upper seal is what goes bad as it takes the pressure when the bucket curls all the way back. I will see if I get 625 hrs out of the new ones !!!

/ FEL bucket not staying up #29  
Glad you were able to get it apart with out any problems. You may already know but I'll remind you it does't hurt to warm up those seals in hot water that you have to turn into a butterfly shape to install.

/ FEL bucket not staying up #30  
Glad you found the problem.

Lots of good info and some not so good in this thread so I'll offer my :2cents: just for future viewers.

1. No a cylinder cannot retract with faulty seals.
2. Retracting causing "drift" is usually associated with the main loader lift.
3. YES a cylinder can extend if seals are faulty.
4. Extending "drift" is usually associated with bucket cylinders or backhoe booms.

And a faulty valve leaking by internally can cause drift of any kind.

Hands down the easiest way to isolate the cylinder from the valve.....if in doubt.....is to uncouple the quick disconnects that most modern tractors are equipped with. But a word of caution is that it puts the fluid under pressure and makes it difficult to re-seat. So the method I like for testing curl cylinders is as follows....

1. Put bucket on ground.....level or slightly dumped......and disconnect curl hose QD's.
2. Raise loader in air and moniter if the bucket drifts further towards dumped position. If it does....cylinders faulty. If it doesnt....valve faulty.
3. Lower bucket back to ground to take pressure off couplers.
4. reconnect couplers