Loader FEL capacity with a boom

/ FEL capacity with a boom #51  
WW it's proably too late, but I think your rebar on top should have been about 4-5" high in the center. The steeper that angle the better.

/ FEL capacity with a boom #52  
WW it's proably too late, but I think your rebar on top should have been about 4-5" high in the center. The steeper that angle the better.

With shortening the total length, and the way he has the angle brace, I dont think he is ever going to bend it.

Allthough there are 2 things I would have done differently (if you are still following this thread WW) and 1 thing it isnt too late for.

First, I would have flattened out 2-3" of the re-bar on the ends to give more weld surface instead of just the small contact point. But probabally too late now.

Second, I am concerned with lateral loads. It looks like if you get a 400-500lb motor on there and turn, motor starts swinging, it looks like it could bend sideways. I would come off the sides, about where your knee-brace is, and add two more peices on an angle. Either back to the bucket top, or down to the cutting edge(compound angle?). And actually, if you do two down to the cutting edge on an angle, you wouldnt even need the one in the middle.:thumbsup:

/ FEL capacity with a boom

It's never too late - you just pull out out the grinder!

You're right, from a pure geometry perspective. My rebar is very heavy and already in tension (pre-stressed) so I hope I'm OK as is. The other thing that helps is the system isn't very long, and the materials are all heavy.

/ FEL capacity with a boom
First, I would have flattened out 2-3" of the re-bar on the ends to give more weld surface instead of just the small contact point. But probabally too late now.
No - not too late. I could cut it off in 2 minutes. I should have done that but was getting impatient. I should re-do that weld.

Second, I am concerned with lateral loads. It looks like if you get a 400-500lb motor on there and turn, motor starts swinging, it looks like it could bend sideways. I would come off the sides, about where your knee-brace is, and add two more peices on an angle. Either back to the bucket top, or down to the cutting edge(compound angle?). And actually, if you do two down to the cutting edge on an angle, you wouldnt even need the one in the middle.:thumbsup:
Agreed. It's not safe the way I have it. Damifino pointed that out to me as well about a half-dozen posts back. I will add hooks so it can be chained or strapped back to the bucket hooks.

All - thanks for the constructive criticism. Much appreciated.

/ FEL capacity with a boom #55  
Excellent point and I agree 100%. DONT make the hook ridgid. Allow the connectionto float and swivel. Either by a ring, or a swivel hook/eye, etc.

On my tree boom, there are two shackle/clevis attachment points. Works well as you can either secure a chain directly or thread either chain, rope or tow strap through the shackle. I don't have a chain hook mounted on top but that would be convenient to secure the chain after it passes through the shackle. I don't have shackles mounted in the photos below but that is how I usually have it rigged.

Attachments

• IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    943.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_2916.jpg
    IMG_2916.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 187
   / FEL capacity with a boom #56  
As mentioned earlier, sometimes the angle of a fixed hooked position could result in lifting chain, strap, etc, to slip off, it only takes a few seconds to remove the hook and add clevis.

This is why I like the receiver at end of boom, it allows a multitude of options with little effort to change them.

whiskywizard, keep that open mind, I think you're doing a great job and when complete, keep heavy items as low to ground as possible and front wheels as straight as possible.

Once you get the feel of your tractor and how it handles, you might go back and tweak a few things.

Good luck and keep up that positive attitude :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Clevis.JPG
    Clevis.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Hook.JPG
    Hook.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 195
   / FEL capacity with a boom #57  
On my tree boom, there are two shackle/clevis attachment points. Works well as you can either secure a chain directly or thread either chain, rope or tow strap through the shackle. I don't have a chain hook mounted on top but that would be convenient to secure the chain after it passes through the shackle. I don't have shackles mounted in the photos below but that is how I usually have it rigged.

You also picked up about 300 pounds of extra lifting capacity by not having to lift a bucket as well. With that size tractor, perhaps the OP should build a rig like yours or utilize a boom pole off of the 3 pt. hitch. You can get plenty of height and the 3 pt. will lift several times as much as a pole going out from the end of the FEL bucket.

I've been there, done that and have the scars and broken bones to show for my learning curve. I have to agree that a cheapo engine hoist from ole Horrible Freight would be the way to go and a safer way. But, since I certainly bear the injuries from trial and errors, I also understand the 'I can build that' desire. With that, I'll just wish the OP to be safe and consider buying or renting the correct tool for the job. I've just gotten to where I no longer like pain. It really starts to hurt after a while. ;)

/ FEL capacity with a boom #58  
You also picked up about 300 pounds of extra lifting capacity by not having to lift a bucket as well. With that size tractor, perhaps the OP should build a rig like yours or utilize a boom pole off of the 3 pt. hitch. You can get plenty of height and the 3 pt. will lift several times as much as a pole going out from the end of the FEL bucket.
Yep. The tree boom I posted photos of was not real expensive though I forget the exact price. The other implement I have is shown below. I don't even know what it is called but it allows you to mount either a 3PT attachment or 2x2 receiver hitch items on to the FEL. Just a 2x2 pole with perhaps even a ratchet strap reinforcement from the end of the pole to the topping lift point would be plenty strong for a 500lb lift.

Attachments

• IMG_3740_small.jpg
    IMG_3740_small.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 211
   / FEL capacity with a boom #59  
Yep. The tree boom I posted photos of was not real expensive though I forget the exact price. The other implement I have is shown below. I don't even know what it is called but it allows you to mount either a 3PT attachment or 2x2 receiver hitch items on to the FEL. Just a 2x2 pole with perhaps even a ratchet strap reinforcement from the end of the pole to the topping lift point would be plenty strong for a 500lb lift.

Nice!! that's a slick setup if I say so.

/ FEL capacity with a boom #60  
Nice!! that's a slick setup if I say so.

I got it from Rick Wallace. Don't know if he still carries them, whatever they are called.

I use mine primarily with my landscape rake as shown in the photo. Very much more precise than dragging the rake behind the tractor but of course useful mostly for small areas.