FEL Electric Winch

/ FEL Electric Winch #11  
Also there is no remote control selnoid I just use my rear remote lever.

/ FEL Electric Winch #12  
Deerlope said:
Also there is no remote control selnoid I just use my rear remote lever.

And you could easily make it removeable with quick couplers on the hoses. If you had a grappler setup you could interchange between the two because the hydraulics would already be there.

/ FEL Electric Winch #13  
I'm glad to see some of you with this type of setup. I put one, hyd, on the back of my bucket, but later put it in the loader frame behind the bucket. It stays free of the dirt and rocks that spill over the bucket and when winching it enables me to dig the bucket in to hold the tractor without having the winch so low to the ground. Personally, I think it is one of the most useful things I have ever done for a tractor, and I am sure that you folks that have them agree. I use an 8000 lb unit and it has the power to skid my JD5300, 50 hp if I don't dig the bucket in.

/ FEL Electric Winch #14  
ovrszd said:
And you could easily make it removeable with quick couplers on the hoses. If you had a grappler setup you could interchange between the two because the hydraulics would already be there.

I do have it quick coupled. I also have a 7-1/2' Fisher snow plow that goes on my FEL that is power angle and they get plugged into th remotes also. The winch stays on all winter, and the plow is only on as needed.

/ FEL Electric Winch #15  
Ken - where did you get that connector for the power lead? I need to get my winch setup and running. I have a plan to put it on a square tube that will then fit into a 2" receiver --- on the back of my truck, front of my truck, back of the tractor, front of the tractor , anywhere I can put a 2" receiver and have access to 12V.

/ FEL Electric Winch #16  
Wondering if running a Milemarker winch on the tractor hydraulics will work. The system is 2500 psi and the MM winch says it is good for 1500 psi typically seen on the power steering systems??

/ FEL Electric Winch #17  
i have a eletric winch on my truck, it is a 12,000 pounder. i mounted it on a 2 inch recvier plate i got at summit. the mount was 100 bucks i think and its the sturdiest thing ive bought for 100 bucks in along time. i decied to go electric incase the truck got swamped i would still have a chance of recoverying it. with hydro if the engine dies your screwed. just a thought
Mark

/ FEL Electric Winch #18  
mikim said:
Ken - where did you get that connector for the power lead? I need to get my winch setup and running. I have a plan to put it on a square tube that will then fit into a 2" receiver --- on the back of my truck, front of my truck, back of the tractor, front of the tractor , anywhere I can put a 2" receiver and have access to 12V.

I have an electric 8,000 lb. Warn winch that I have set up just that way. It's on a platform with a 2" 'stinger' that I use in my truck's 2" receiver as well as one I welded onto the front edge of the bed of my electric hydraulic tilt bed trailer and even on one I welded onto a piece of bar stock that goes into my drawbar receiver.

As to the electrical connectors, I've gotten those through AW Direct and from local forklift companies (they use the same ones for batteries on electric lift trucks). I use the red ones as they're designed to handle the load and cable size you'll need to use.

Good luck with your project. I hope this helps. :eek:

/ FEL Electric Winch #19  
My only concern with this set up has to do with the potential for damage to the bucket and especially the loader arms, especially with womething other than a dead straight pull. It seems to me that a heavy pull from an angle could torque the bucket and loader arms, Can anyone give me any information as to whether my concerns are warranted? Thanks. :eek:

/ FEL Electric Winch
Gary_in_Indiana said:
My only concern with this set up has to do with the potential for damage to the bucket and especially the loader arms, especially with womething other than a dead straight pull. It seems to me that a heavy pull from an angle could torque the bucket and loader arms, Can anyone give me any information as to whether my concerns are warranted? Thanks. :eek:
I’d imagine it would certainly be possible to cause damage to the loader arms and quite possibly even the bucket. You could surely tip over the tractor and might even manage to separate your head from the rest of your body with a snapped cable. An inexpensive and quick solution to all of these potential problems is to slather a generous supply of “common sense” over the entire operation. In short, if you are shooting a rifle and tend to put the stock against your shoulder rather than the barrel against your shoulder you are in the right mode of thought! After using this rig for nine years on an earlier tractor I feel rather confident that used properly this type of installation is safe for both the tractor and the operator. This setup is not supposed to replace a commercial logging winch nor to be used “every time” you drop a tree or move a log. I use it only to make logging a safer or easier operation in specific instances such as “widow maker” leaning trees or difficult to extract logs. If it’s safer to use a long chain ….I use the chain.

I use the winch for “straight-on” pulling only. Unless I need bucket elevation I plant the bottom edge of the bucket in the ground for stability. I set the tractor brakes before using the winch. I use the curl of the bucket to dislodge a stuck log or tree and never the winch only. If I encounter any significant winch resistance on a large downed log I simply chainsaw the log to a smaller length and make two or three pulls.

A comparable hydraulic winch is excellent. I went electric as I got a quality winch on a special sale and it was easy to install. Most importantly, I like the idea of standing twelve feet to one side of that lethal winch cable without having to deal with an ungainly hydraulic remote arrangement!

………Someone asked about the quick-connect 12V power leads. Any quality automotive parts store will have them in their order catalog. Go with the heavy duty inter-locking variety which run about $20-25 per set.

Thanks for the interest…:)

Ken