FEL Float on L2800

/ FEL Float on L2800 #1  

DanielTerence

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
When I try to put the FEL in the "float" position by moving the joystick straight forward (past the click sound/feeeling) the tractor seems to jam the bucket into the ground and raise the tractor up three or so inches. What am doing wrong? Thanks.

/ FEL Float on L2800 #2  
What happens when you let your hand off the joystick? It should stay in the float position, and not spring back to the center. Push a little farther, (I think).

/ FEL Float on L2800 #3  
Putting the loader valve in the float position causes both ports of the loader cylinders to be exhausted to the tank. This allows gravity to lower the loader arms and "float" them along the ground. If the loader drops then forces itself lower then you are no longer in float. The loader valve handle should stay in float until you pull it back. If you pull back too soon you could be inadvertantly going to normal lowering position which would be forcing the loader lower.

/ FEL Float on L2800 #4  
I did the same thing at first. Just pop it up into float quickly and you will not lower the bucket that way. I also had to learn not to puch to much angle on the bucket when working dirt or gravel. Good luck. Brian

/ FEL Float on L2800 #5  
I think the main thing you may be doing wrong is going forward after you float the bucket. Doing that will almost always lift the front of the tractor because the bucket will hang on something. The loader arms connect behind the front wheels, and the rear wheels will continue to push even after the fronts are up.

You pretty much want to float the bucket going forward only on a hard surface that you are trying to clean up (like sand on a road, but it will wear the bucket lip fast).

For forward moving pickup of a thin layer of dirt, I usually float the bucket down (to set the level) and then take it off float. By going forward slowly while adjusting the amount of bite with the curl, I can take a thin cut.

Try floating the bucket and going in reverse. You will quickly get the hang of it for smoothing out a pile that you dumped. Curl the bucket for more bite when dragging, and leave the bucket level for finish smoothing. Once you figure it out, you'll wonder how you ever got along without a loader. Good luck!

- Just Gary