FEL for L3010DT

/ FEL for L3010DT #1  

JeffRey30747

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710DT & Yanmar 186D
I am investigating the purchase of a L3010DT. My local dealer has given me two loader options. One is the Kubota brand loader which according to the literature is either the LA481 or LA482 but there is no model # on the quote. The other is the Bush Hog mid mount loader. The Kubota loader costs about $650 more and the dealer has been steering me toward the Bush Hog FEL. The dealer has acknowledged that the BH FEL is slower acting than the Kubota FEL but that shouldn't be much of a problem for me. Is there any other reason not to get the Bush Hog brand?
I also plan to purchase a subframe mount backhoe at a later time. Is there anything else I should look into before my initial tractor purchase?

/ FEL for L3010DT #2  
Bush Hog makes good products, and I think you'd be satisfied with it, but of course, the FEL is the one attachment that I want to be the same brand as the tractor, especially if you're buying a new one. You know then that the tractor manufacturer (not the loader manufacturer) says they're made to work together. Appearance (color matching and such) are not a big factor for me, personally, although it's nice when they match. But if you ever decide to sell it, you'll probably get back the cost difference; much easier to sell matching equipment.

/ FEL for L3010DT #3  
I'd second Bird's comment. A loader is the one attachment where I would not stray from the factory unit. To me it's all about fit and finish, and the factory loaders do a great job of it.

/ FEL for L3010DT #4  
The literature I have lists a LA481 FEL for the L3010 and 3410.
A Kubota loader should be around $3650 installed. I too would get the Kubota loader and in your case would buy the Kubota backhoe as well. I saw a Woods FEL on a 3010 and the fit and paint was not of the same quality as the Kubota brand. Other attachments you can purchase from the manufacturers and be ok.. If the tractor was 10 years old I would be more likely to buy the Bush Hog loader. As stated, resale with the Kubota equipment would be better and it will just plain work better. If the dealer won't get you A kubota loader you might have to look at another dealer.

/ FEL for L3010DT
It's not that the dealer won't get me the Kubota FEL, only that he has recommended the BH M246 FEL. BTW, BobinCols, you hit the quoted price for the Kubota FEL right on the head. The literature I have lists the LA482 loader for the L3010 but says that the LA481 is still available. I haven't seen either loader as they didn't even have a L3010 in stock at the time that I talked with them. I guess I'm due another trip to the dealer. I'll attach a scan of the M246 from the BH literature.
Thanks for your help guys!

Attachments

• 46-105504-M246FEL.jpg
    46-105504-M246FEL.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 338
   / FEL for L3010DT #6  
I'll third Bird's comment. I have plenty of implements made by other mfgs, but the loader isn't one of them for the reasons previously mentioned.

Pete

/ FEL for L3010DT #7  
In the picture looks like he could use a little rear ballast.

/ FEL for L3010DT #8  
whether Blue, Green, Orange or Red

My opinion, and i know some may disagree.

Stay with SAME BRAND as your tractor.

Come trade-in, resale,service,parts shopping times ..you will be happy you did.

Your trade-in and resale values will be higher.
Finding parts and service will be easier.
Parts availability will be better.

These are times that lots and lots of short line implement/loader mfg are merging and/or disappearing
resulting in fewer dealers and harder to find parts and dealers.

You can save a few dollars now and the dealer may earn a few more profit dollars as well.

But in the long run .... you'll be more dollars ahead a have fewer possible headaches with same brand loaders and backhoes

BIG Caution to shoppers:
Not just same color !
Make sure its same brand.
The short line folks are very good at matching colors and model numbers. Some folks do not notice that their new loader was from another manufacturer until they get the tractor home.

Sometimes that several hundred dollars lesser purchase price was the deciding factor in which seller was honored with the order.

It happens everyday.

Best wishes and happy shopping.
Steve

/ FEL for L3010DT #9  
It's really a shame that a Kubota dealer would even offer a Bush Hog Loader as an alternative to a Kubota. First of all, Kubota goes out of their way to provide a sturdy loader subframe that ties the front, middle and rear of the tractor together. Bush Hog on the other hand goes out of their way to do the exact opposite. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. Buying iplements such as a backhoe down the road also becomes an issue when you consider that all aftermarket backhoe attachments will work with an OEM loader. With an aftermarket loader you are usually stuck with a backhoe made by the same company. Steve makes some very good points as well about resale, although I disagree with the fact that you should stick with OEM backhoes. My opinion, go with the LA481 or 482. Tractorman

/ FEL for L3010DT
OK guys, you have me leaning back toward the Kubota FEL. However, I have another question. Does anyone out there know the difference between the LA481 and LA482 FELs and if there is any reason I should try for one over the other. The literature I have is print dated Sep '00 and has the specs for the LA482 and not the LA481 but only the LA481 appears in the pictures. I'll ask about this on my trip back to the dealer, but I thought someone here might know.
Thanks for all the input so far, Jeff