FEL Grapple from Scratch W/ Lots-O-Pics

/ FEL Grapple from Scratch W/ Lots-O-Pics #132  
I have been reading this thread and although I'm sure it has already been talked out, I'm interested in the long term test results.

First I have to say it is beautifully crafted. However, it seems to me that it has a weak point in that all the pivots are more or less welded to the top flat part of the bucket. There does not seem to be anything to keep the top edge of the bucket from tweaking upwards or twisting/rolling backward. Perhaps it isn't under that much strain.
What if there were some 1/4 inch wall 2x2 welded vertically to the back of the bucket extending a few inches above with the grapple pivots at their ends? Would that be overkill? Would the geometry still work if it were pivoting at the top rear of the bucket? The loading would be spread over a much larger surface. I assume that the grapple is removable?
Have you had any instances where the bucket was distorting or seemed like it would twist?

/ FEL Grapple from Scratch W/ Lots-O-Pics
Hi o2batsea,

Check page 7 reply # 68 of this thread. I think it shows where I welded a 1/2" thick plate to the back of the bucket for re-enforcement. Three years later the bucket is holding strong, no cracks or other deformation. The front top edge of the bucket is rolled over metal so it's not just a straight top edge. The grapple jaws are holding up just as well. I have quick connects on the hydraulic lines shown on page 7 reply # 68 so the grapple could be removed, but have never had the need to remove it because it's design is such it never gets in the way. Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

Larry

/ FEL Grapple from Scratch W/ Lots-O-Pics #134  
What a cool grapple project. Plus, a tutorial on how to build your own.

/ FEL Grapple from Scratch W/ Lots-O-Pics #135  
What a cool grapple project. Plus, a tutorial on how to build your own.

I agree, tho I had read parts of it before, I read all 134 post this evening, I was that fascinated by it. Great work guys.
James K0UA

/ FEL Grapple from Scratch W/ Lots-O-Pics #136  
Hi Larry, Super craftsmanship. Is there any clearance problems, grapple fully open when curling the bucket back? Picture ;) ;)

/ FEL Grapple from Scratch W/ Lots-O-Pics #137  
Congratulations on an extremely informative and well executed project. A nice read for the day after Christmas.
As others have said, and I will repeat, I am envious of your shop machinery and skills to use them.

/ FEL Grapple from Scratch W/ Lots-O-Pics #138  
Looks like art. I wonder if it would be worth fabricating a version of that grapple for my little B2320 Kubota? Any idea what the cnc work would cost without a services trade? Not familiar with cost of cnc plasma cutting

/ FEL Grapple from Scratch W/ Lots-O-Pics #139  
wow total talent and know how......gosh you can evn spel:laughing:

thanks. I find unbelievable things on this site and who cares if n ya can spell or knot:confused2:

/ FEL Grapple from Scratch W/ Lots-O-Pics #140  
Yeah...... too bad it doesn't look like Larry participates here anymore.