FEL Hydraulic hoses leak

/ FEL Hydraulic hoses leak #11  
?????? That would be a first for me.
Really? I have a leak that just started in the cold weather - a drop every few minutes under pressure. Im keeping an eye on it.
larry

/ FEL Hydraulic hoses leak #12  
Thanks for the info.

Do you have any advice on:
what it should cost me for material (say per fitting and per inch of hose). I have a total of 12 hoses. The hose is 3/8" and I have 4 that would be in the 18-20" range and 4 in the 14-16" range and then 4 that are 112".
what's reasonable for labor?

Also I have some questions on material:
for a 30 hp tractor, what rated psi should I get for the hose itself?
would a hydraulic shop have as good a quality of fitting as the JD dealer?
what is the typical/preferred metal that I want the fittings to be? (as I hear some can corrode).

3/8" hose (-6) will cost you roughly $3.50 a foot, some shops lower, some higher. If you came to me with those hoses, it would definately be lower because of the volume but every shop is different. Do not pay labor to make a hose. To me, that's like going to a Jiffy Lube for a $20 oil change and paying labor on top of that.

Your JD dealer won't have anything better than any hose shop. I would stay with the larger name hose/fitting manufacturers like Weatherhead, Parker, Gates, and Aeroquip. Gates makes a decent hose, but I don't like them. A standard 2 wire hose will be plenty, they are roughly 4,000 psi. I like the 100R16 hose for equipment. This is a 2 wire hose with half the bend radius of the older 100R2 hose.

All of your hose crimps have some anti-corrosive on them. The cheaper, internet stuff has way less, if any. Most of your major manufacturers listed above will have sufficient amounts.

I would avoid a NAPA or other auto store for hoses. They know hoses like I know auto parts.

/ FEL Hydraulic hoses leak #13  
Really? I have a leak that just started in the cold weather - a drop every few minutes under pressure. Im keeping an eye on it.
larry

Well, hoses will leak when the weather goes from warmer to colder. Then again, they will leak when the weather goes from colder to warmer. And from rain to sunshine, and sunshine to rain. And when it stays nice for a few days, or maybe rain for a couple. They will even leak when it's partly cloudy out with a 50% chance of a shower. One thing I have never seen a hose do is stop leaking because the weather changed.

/ FEL Hydraulic hoses leak
If I could pose some more questions (I know there's alot here, so don't feel like you have to answer them all):

When you say 3/8" (-6), what is the (-6)?
Does the, say, $3.50 per foot include the fittings on each end?
If it is not too complicated, what does the 100R2 stand for? (I'm guessing that the "R" has to do with the half bend radius rating).
Not sure what half-bend radius is.
You mention that there is some anti-corrosive on the fittings. I guess I was thinking that some fittings might be made of differing metals - which have differing degrees of quality for anti-corrosiveness and I wondered what metal I would want my fittings to be.
Are all hoses made of the same material? (are neoprene, stnthetic rubber and nittrile all synonyms)?

/ FEL Hydraulic hoses leak #15  
If I could pose some more questions (I know there's alot here, so don't feel like you have to answer them all):

When you say 3/8" (-6), what is the (-6)?
Hoses and fittings are measured in sixteenths of an inch, so a -6 hose is 6/16" or 3/8" which is a -6.

Does the, say, $3.50 per foot include the fittings on each end?
No, fittings are extra and price varies depending on male, female, JIC, flat face o-ring, etc.

If it is not too complicated, what does the 100R2 stand for? (I'm guessing that the "R" has to do with the half bend radius rating).
The SAE 100R # is a standard used in the hose industry to rate the hose for pressure, how tight it will bend(bend radius), etc.

Not sure what half-bend radius is.
If you look at a U, the bend in the bottom part is the bend radius, like the radius in a circle. Half bend radius means the hose will bend half a circle of what the other hose will.

You mention that there is some anti-corrosive on the fittings. I guess I was thinking that some fittings might be made of differing metals - which have differing degrees of quality for anti-corrosiveness and I wondered what metal I would want my fittings to be.
They're all pretty much the same metals, it's the coating that makes it anti-corrosive. Cheaper fittings have less or none.

Are all hoses made of the same material? (are neoprene, stnthetic rubber and nittrile all synonyms)?
No, they're not synonyms. Most of your standard off the shelf 2 wire hoses are all a nitrile inner liner which is plenty tough for what any of us here need.

Don't feel bad about asking a question. The only dumb question is one not asked. When you go to a hose/hyd shop, ask for a catalog. There is a ton of info in there. I still learn from the Weatherhead catalog. You can also look here. Eaton Product Literature Library > Fluid Conveyance > Weatherhead This is the catalog I get all my info from.

Happy reading, Andy.

/ FEL Hydraulic hoses leak
Thanks! This will get me started.

/ FEL Hydraulic hoses leak #17  
I have often found that leaking fittings stop dripping when it starts to rain and I shut off the tractor to go inside.....

/ FEL Hydraulic hoses leak #18  
Wayne County Hose,Thanks for the lesson. I don't have a problem now but when I do I understand what it means. I know a lot of Deere OEM hose is Parker.

/ FEL Hydraulic hoses leak #19  
   / FEL Hydraulic hoses leak #20  
If just a slight drip it may reseal in the crimps acceptably when the weather warms and the rubber expands and softens.
larry

?????? That would be a first for me.

larry

Well, hoses will leak when the weather goes from warmer to colder. Then again, they will leak when the weather goes from colder to warmer. And from rain to sunshine, and sunshine to rain. And when it stays nice for a few days, or maybe rain for a couple. They will even leak when it's partly cloudy out with a 50% chance of a shower. One thing I have never seen a hose do is stop leaking because the weather changed.

The leak has stopped. I expect it will start again next winter.
larry
Still not leaking.
larry