Front-End Loader FEL plow

/ FEL plow #1  

kramarj

Tractor
Kubota B7100 w/1630C Loader
does anybody have any idea how big of a plow I could put on a Kubota B7100HST, it has 16 hp. i was thinking like a 48" to a 60", any thoughts, thank you

/ FEL plow #2  
If you do some searching, you will fund lots of posts on this very topic. I had on that I built on my 4110, treid using it for two years and gave it up to get a frame mounted plow.

The problem I had was that the plow was so far out in front, and steering became a problem when snow built up in front of the blade. Also there was a big tendancy for the front wheels to get light and come off the ground due to the geometry of the FEL.

/ FEL plow #3  
Kennyd, do you feel that the "Curtis" snowplow that attaches to the quick attach loader would do the same as your old plow? Any thought that your tractor was too light for the loader mounted unit?

/ FEL plow
Kennyd, if you go with a smaller plow, would it help any?

/ FEL plow #5  
My "thought" is that the small-framed compacts are to light for this setup. I think it's has a lot do do with the fact that the plow is just to far out in front.
My plow was 60" wide, my tractor wheel's are 48" wide, when the plow was angled (30*) it only cut about a 52" swath, so the blade was not oversized for the machine...
Just by shear geometry, when the blade meets restistance and the tractor continues to push forward, the front of the tractor gets lighter and all steering is lost except for indendent brake steering which is helpfull but will not overcome the snow pushing the blade to the right or left depending on which way it's angled.
The blade I made was very similar to the Curtis setup and the one that JD sells for the loaders on the mid-framed CUT's.
Another thing to consider is the overall length of the machine with the FEL plow and rear wieght, it can be very cumbersome in smaller parking area's and driveways.

DISCLAIMER: These are just my experiance's with my setup, and a few other's I have talked to with simular setup's, one was with a JD4310 and the Fronteir (JD) blade,

/ FEL plow #6  
kramarj,
I agree with kennyd. This is for point of refereance only, I have a 7.5' foot frame mounted Myers snowplow on my M series. If the shoes loose contact with the ground and the cutting edge digs in it will throw me around very fast. You learn to steer with the rear brakes quick. With this winters snow I have had to plow my 200 ft driveway and 1/2 mile of private road with the wheels turned to 30 degrees into the bank on the edge of the road to move the snow. Now it it true that I can move/stack the snow when the pick up mounted snow plows just spun their tires and bounced off the snow banks, but it is not easy.
I frame mounted my snowplow to ensure that I would not hurt/bend my fel arms. I know that plenty of people have mounted their plows to the fel without problems in my "extreme" conditions I would have.
I would go with the shorter diam. snow plow and use the fel to stack the snow when necessary.
Good Luck
Dave

/ FEL plow
okay, so it sounds like a plow isnt the greatest idea, but what about a snow pusher type thing, do you think that would have the same affect?

/ FEL plow
okay, so it sounds like a plow isnt the greatest idea, but what about a snow pusher type thing, do you think that would have the same affect?

/ FEL plow #9  
kramarj said:

How much does your tractor weigh? Those push box's fill up fast and I think you loose traction very quickly, you can test this with just the bucket you have now...how far can you drive forward before there is a huge wall of snow in front of you that you can't push anymore? The same will happen with the box only a lot faster.