FEL repair kit

/ FEL repair kit #21  
laurencen said:
I think they will do a recall once the first cracking arms fail and cause injury to someone

There is virtually no chance that *normal* operation of the loader could cause injury to anyone.

You could completely remove the crossbar, then the hydraulics and the bucket would keep everything aligned. A little more deflection yes, but injury no.

Stop feeding the fire.

/ FEL repair kit #22  
bearhawk said:
There is virtually no chance that *normal* operation of the loader could cause injury to anyone.

You could completely remove the crossbar, then the hydraulics and the bucket would keep everything aligned. A little more deflection yes, but injury no.

Stop feeding the fire.

Unless, the failure caused a sudden shift in the bucket load such that the tractor rolled over, or something like that.

Also, I know of one failed loader: mine. Didn't crack in half, but doesn't sit level anymore. It's now useless for ground finish work. That, to me, is a failure.

I think it's criminal that Kioti would charge for new arms on the KL130's. They've known about this problem for well over a year now. If they can't provide a "repair kit" that works, then they should replace the arms. After all, how long is reasonable before a fix must be made available to everyone? That time, in this case, certainly has come and gone.

/ FEL repair kit #23  
The dealer I talked with that is putting the kits on the KL130's, did say that of the 15-20 that he has done, one did not fit correctly. I did not ask him what he did about it.

/ FEL repair kit #24  
Gittyup said:
Also, I know of one failed loader: mine. Didn't crack in half, but doesn't sit level anymore. It's now useless for ground finish work. That, to me, is a failure.

Do you have the KL130 or the KL120? If you have the KL130 I'd be interested in how large the cracks are. Mine still have not extended past the inspection plate (I have 122 +- hrs with probably half loader and half backhoe time) Just curious as to how large the cracks get before you start to notice something going on with the loader, as in this case not sitting level. (Also not trying to add fuel to the fire.)

/ FEL repair kit #25  
gravel13 said:
Do you have the KL130 or the KL120? If you have the KL130 I'd be interested in how large the cracks are. Mine still have not extended past the inspection plate (I have 122 +- hrs with probably half loader and half backhoe time) Just curious as to how large the cracks get before you start to notice something going on with the loader, as in this case not sitting level. (Also not trying to add fuel to the fire.)

I have 190 hours on my machine. About 130 of those are backhoe time, another 10 or so of post hole digging, another 10 or so of chipping, about 5 more of back blading. That leaves less than 45 hours of work involving the loader, which was mostly moving mulch. I did a small amount of digging into a bank, and moved some loose dirt, with a little back dragging. Also pushed brush into piles and ferried wet cement to a foundation pour in it. Pretty much all light duty stuff. My cracks extend slightly into the bend starting up the orthogonal face of the cross member, all four places. Bucket sits out of level by about 1.75" side to side. You can see it twist if put under even the slightest load. If you can help it, don't wait 'til this happens to you.

/ FEL repair kit #26  
BTW. It is a KL130 loader.

/ FEL repair kit #27  
Hi, not feeding anything, if the cross brace is not realy needed then why make a heavier one, if the cross brace was not functioning, say you had a load one side of the bucket or digging a root and the one side caught the solid lift then would the side trapped stay down and the other lift, the cylinders work on a teed pressure line so if you restrict one the other extends out fully, who knows what effect this would have on the pivot links, not winding anyone up, if I did sorry, if you have a cracking loader its simple, cut it out and its not cracked anymore, problem solved. Now, injury can happen on any equipment no matter how safe its made, I think Kioti have somewhere made a note that if any equipment upon inspection is not in good order then do not use it, obviously cracking is not included, if you flex anything long enough it will fail, lets hope its still under waranty

/ FEL repair kit #28  
Thanks for the reply Gittyup. Right now my cracks are still rather small, as I said they don't extend past the inspection plate. I'll have to try to contact my dealer, unfortunately he was the one who no longer carries Kioti tractors , but he still gets parts and will do repairs. I remember him saying he had kits but they didn't fit any of the loaders on his lot at the time. Who knows, maybe he still has them and they will fit mine.

/ FEL repair kit #29  
Gittyup said:

I'm not convinced that "not sitting level" is a result of the torque tube cracking. To my knowledge no one else has reported this particular problem as a manifestation of the cracking issue. On the other hand, there are numerous reports of loaders that don't sit level on other tractors (check out posts on the Kubota B3030 from a year or so ago, other tractor brands involved too) where there has not been any cracking issue. I think I recall that lack of level has been reported on brand new tractors too.

Your FEL use sounds minimal and certainly not severe duty. I used my cracked KL120 quite aggressively with a grapple and despite putting heavy and sometimes asymmetrical loads on it I never saw unusual flexing or distorted level of the bucket. Most of my 180 tractor hours were grapple use and I often lifted the rear of the tractor while digging out stumps etc. The cracks did extend over the course of a year but not nearly as badly as yours did. I wonder why 1) your cracking is so severe and 2) how that could lead to not just more flexing but a fixed 1.75 inch distortion.

As a general point, tractor FELs are not nearly as strong as bulldozer blades and using them do do more than simply lift dirt/sand etc could potentially twist the arms so they are slightly out of alignment. Either lifting an asymmetric load or hitting an obstacle off center when "bulldozing" could potentially damage the long arms of a tractor FEL. These things are not reported often so I'm not saying that the FELs are weak just that by design they are more vulnerable than we'd like to believe.

Has your dealer looked at the loader? Is the bucket itself straight?

/ FEL repair kit #30  
IslandTractor said:
I'm not convinced that "not sitting level" is a result of the torque tube cracking. To my knowledge no one else has reported this particular problem as a manifestation of the cracking issue. On the other hand, there are numerous reports of loaders that don't sit level on other tractors (check out posts on the Kubota B3030 from a year or so ago, other tractor brands involved too) where there has not been any cracking issue. I think I recall that lack of level has been reported on brand new tractors too.

Your FEL use sounds minimal and certainly not severe duty. I used my cracked KL120 quite aggressively with a grapple and despite putting heavy and sometimes asymmetrical loads on it I never saw unusual flexing or distorted level of the bucket. Most of my 180 tractor hours were grapple use and I often lifted the rear of the tractor while digging out stumps etc. The cracks did extend over the course of a year but not nearly as badly as yours did. I wonder why 1) your cracking is so severe and 2) how that could lead to not just more flexing but a fixed 1.75 inch distortion.

As a general point, tractor FELs are not nearly as strong as bulldozer blades and using them do do more than simply lift dirt/sand etc could potentially twist the arms so they are slightly out of alignment. Either lifting an asymmetric load or hitting an obstacle off center when "bulldozing" could potentially damage the long arms of a tractor FEL. These things are not reported often so I'm not saying that the FELs are weak just that by design they are more vulnerable than we'd like to believe.

Has your dealer looked at the loader? Is the bucket itself straight?

I was so aware of the cracking issue that I checked for cracks after every use. The loader became unlevel EXACTLY coincident with the cracks. Further, the CK25 is something like 1000 lbs or so heavier than the CK20. Yet, the 25's loader arms are marginally, if at all, any heavier duty than the 20. This added weight puts more force on all components, and therefore generate considerably higher forces on the loader. And you can't carry or put more force into the loader than the hydraulics and weight of your tractor permit. The bigger CK25 provides both more weight and more hydraulic capacity than the CK20. Some "non Kioti guys" have long maintained that the tractor is too heavy/powerful for the loader. They are right.

Further, I don't understand any reasoning where one would think that a twist of the loader at the arms wouldn't cause it to be unlevel. A variation in level, left to right, would happen quite often under such a circumstance. I can see it happening live, right before me on my Ck25. Sure, there are many reasons for a loader to be unlevel, but not in this case. It's also no coincidence that when I put even the slightest pressure on one side of the loader that it twists quite easily. Now some twist or "give" is expected, but not as much as I'm seeing. This loader is just plain poor design. It's time to stop making excuses for it.