FEL Safety Latch

/ FEL Safety Latch #1  

EddieW

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST
Got my safety latch for my front end Loader in the mail today. It took about 30 seconds to install. I guess JD is mailing them to everybody with a 4000 series tractor and loader.

/ FEL Safety Latch #2  
A front end loader safety latch is a great idea, they make it difficult to drop or dump the loader intentionally or accidentally bumping lever.

/ FEL Safety Latch #3  
EddieW,
How did you find out about the safety latch? Are they only for 4000 series? Do you know if they are available for 5000 series? Please provide any other info you have concerning this.
Thanks

/ FEL Safety Latch #4  
I have a JD 970 with the 440 loader. The safety latch came standard with the loader. It is a neat and simple lock out gate gadget.

regards,
george

/ FEL Safety Latch #5  
The joystick on my JD5210 has a lockout on it that prevents any movement of the FEL. Is this the same type of thing that you are talking about?

/ FEL Safety Latch
I received a letter from John Deere about a month ago that they would be sending me a safety latch about 8/1 to install that would prevent the loader from coming loose accidentally. I don't know if there had been incidents of the loader coming loose under pressure or why they thought this device needed installed. It is a "C" shaped bracket about 6" long and 4" wide that connects to the frame just behind the front bumper. The hole was already there. I inserted a 1/2" by 2" pin and put a spring clip though it to hold it to the bumper. It hinges up and down on this pin. The bracket goes down over the frame of loader that rests on the front bumper then I inserted a 1/4" by 2" through another hole in the bracket to hold it down. This prevents the loader from moving forward and detaching from the bumper. To detach the loader I remove the smaller pin and flip the bracket up and detach loader the same way I always have. I have a JD4300 with 430 loader. The instructions that came with the bracket covered 4100 thru 4700 and 790, 990 and a few more that I don't remember. John Deere notified me directly and sent it to me so I don't know what initiated this. The letter was not alarmist in nature just informed me of what they were going to do and what I should do. I assumed others had been notified as well. I have not had a problem with my loader but it looked like a good idea that might keep somebody from getting hurt so I installed it. I didn't consider it a big deal. I thought others who had been notified might want to know it is on the way. Sorry I don't know any more.