FEL won't raise

/ FEL won't raise #1  

Mowdyman

Recently purchased my first NH (1520 w/110 loader). First tractor with a FEL. Bought it used from very reputable dealer (dealer prepped). Have put 22 hours on it. Was moving cut brush to pile when the FEL would only raise to about 3/4 of it's range (always able to raise it higher), at that point it started to whine (the tractor, not me). I stopped and checked the hydraulic fluid level. It was just a tad bit low, so I topped it off, but it didn't make a difference. Everything has worked exceedingly well up to this point. Any suggestions?

/ FEL won't raise #2  
Make sure one of your QD's didn't come partially undone from catching on brush, to do this, lower the bucket fully with tractor off and manually check them where they come together.

/ FEL won't raise
Thanks Fixemall, I'll give that a shot. If that's not it, I've done some reading and it mentions a relief valve that might need checked. Is this something that can be done without special tools or more expertise knowledge of the system?

/ FEL won't raise #4  
The FEL quick connects are the most likely culprit. The relief valve is probably not involved with your problem. It operates for the 3PH also, so if the FEL won't work, but the 3PH works normally, the relief valve is not your problem.

/ FEL won't raise #5  
I've come across a similar problem on my new NH Boomer 35 with loader. The male end of the quick connects is becoming plugged slightly. Under a very light hydraulic load it functions fine but when I put full pressure to the circuit it jams. I have replaced 2 male tips on the return side of whatever circuit is jamming and that has fixed the problem. Not sure if they are just cheap fittings or what. I believe the brand on the faulty ones are "Faster" brand.

Not sure if it will help but worth a look.

/ FEL won't raise #6  
Had same thing happen with my previous tractor. Turned out, a piece of brush twisted around and got between my loader frame. It bumped a quick-disconnect loose. My local dealer/mechanic said to check the quick disconnects; I looked at them and they looked ok. Drug it on to my trailer and took it in. He asked if I reseated the quick connects; I said no, they looked fine. He reseated them; one was pulled apart barely, and was hard to see.

10 seconds, and the tractor was working. After three hours of thinking something drastic/expensive was wrong.

In my case, the whine was because it effectively dead-headed the pump.

/ FEL won't raise
Gentlemen, I thank you all. It was a loose coupling. I checked and of course it was the last one I looked at. All works well.
Since it is my first FEL, how do you put the bucket into the float position? And I've heard you use the back of the bucket in float rather than the front edge...

/ FEL won't raise #8  
To float (if you control valve has it) you push thecontrol lever past the down position. There should be a detent that holds it in that position.
Bill