FEL

/ FEL #1  

mf1145

My FEL model # 1246 has a small problem if you get a full load in the bucket and raise it up and try to lower it with out dumping it, it wants to fall real fast , is ther an adjusment on the control valves , i did check for bypass from the cyclniders by getting a full bucket of dirt and rasing it and measuring and it lowered 3 inches in twenty minutes good or bad?

/ FEL #2  
mf1145,
You have to feather the control valve. Its like turning on the water at the kitchen sink, if you just open it a little it goes slow, if you open it more it goes faster. The more weight that you have in the bucket the more pronounced your movement is. As far as dropping 3" in 20 minutes, that is normal for very very many loaders. Most of the time there is nothing really wrong. What it is, is the stack of tolerances in the control valve. The spool has to some clearance or you wouldn't be able to push it in or pull it out. If the tolerances are on the high side for the valve body and on the low side for the spool, you will get a loader that drops faster.

/ FEL #3  
mf1145,
My tractor also has a 1246 loader and I have found that if the joystick linkage is too tight it can cause this. Slide the boot back on the loader control valve and see if the linkage moves freely (engine off and loader bucket on the ground of course). I use a light silicone spray lube on mine, also check that the nuts that attach the ball joints to the joystick are not too tight so as to cause the ball joint linkage to bind, the joint itself should be free and loose and the linkage must move freely throughout its travel. The 1246 controls are a little sensitive anyways, and if there is any binding in the joystick linkage its impossible to have smooth control. Mine works fine and with a little practice its possible to lower a loaded bucket with precision. Another thing I like to do is spray a little Armorall on the rubber boot to keep it flexable, don't get any on the linkage though.

/ FEL
Thank you Both very much for the information it is very much appriceated...