Fence corner

/ Fence corner #1  

travlitt

Platinum Member
Tractor
8050C Branson, Branson 2400, 8N Ford, Round Fender John Deere 110, 3 60" ZTR mowers, a bunch of ride on mowers, 8' Brush hog , 15' Bat wing
I will be building a new barb wire fence and need advice on setting the corner post and the brace post. I am thinking I need 3 post and a stub for the brace on each corner. What would be the depth of the holes to insure the post does not come out of the ground when I pull and attach the wire.

/ Fence corner #2  
I will be building a new barb wire fence and need advice on setting the corner post and the brace post. I am thinking I need 3 post and a stub for the brace on each corner. What would be the depth of the holes to insure the post does not come out of the ground when I pull and attach the wire.

What length posts do you have? I use 8' corner posts buried about 3-1/2' deep.

/ Fence corner #4  
I use 2 poles with a post or 4x4 between them and wrap brace wire from bottom of corner post to top of other corner post for added bracing, I usually dig from 3' to 4' depending on soil conditions, if you have the time and can build your corners now and let them set up for a month or so before pulling your wire they will be plenty ready for your wire pull after setting up.

/ Fence corner #5  
I use 2 poles with a post or 4x4 between them and wrap brace wire from bottom of corner post to top of other corner post for added bracing, .

Same here. I put the 4x4 at the top and the X brace with wire between them. The wire rising towards the fence line is the important one. The other one just holds the posts square. I use a scrap piece of wood to wrap-tight the X brace wires up towards the top and nail it to the 4x4. I don't make my wires banjo tight like some people do, but I do get them taunt.

/ Fence corner #6  
Because of shallow bedrock, I did the corners a little different. I built 4'x4'x4' metal box out of expanded metal pallets. Set these at the corners, filled with rock and set a treated wooden post in the far corner. Because of the extreme weight of the completed box, I'm able to pull the barb wire pretty tight. They have stayed put and not moved an inch in 32 years. Since the treated corner post is out of the ground - no rotting in that time either.

/ Fence corner #7  
Because of shallow bedrock, I did the corners a little different. I built 4'x4'x4' metal box out of expanded metal pallets. Set these at the corners, filled with rock and set a treated wooden post in the far corner. Because of the extreme weight of the completed box, I'm able to pull the barb wire pretty tight. They have stayed put and not moved an inch in 32 years. Since the treated corner post is out of the ground - no rotting in that time either.
I remember building bunches of these, not out of metal though. I think a lot of them are still there many many years later. Dry climate helps alot too.

/ Fence corner #8  
This is how I did the corners for my high tension wire, not sure it's any better or worse than using a metal brace.

/ Fence corner
Thanks for all of the advise. I like the H type suggestion. I will be using metal pipe for the post and a 45*down brace to a stub pipe.
I will set the post 4' deep and use 270# of Sakrete in each hole. I hope to get started today.
Thanks again and have a great day.
Travis

/ Fence corner #10  
cqaigy2 - Yes, its the extreme dry time of the year here. The entire country is the color of dry pine needles. TAN is beautiful, ha,ha. One of my close neighbors, about six miles down the road, made rock "pillars" by filling heavy wire columns with rock. I don't know where he got the wire panels to make the pillars but they are 1/4 inch diameter wire welded into 4" squares. They come in 4' x 6' panels and he rolled them into round pillars, stood them up and filled with rock. They look nice and seem to work well. A lot of the ranchers use treated rail road ties. I have one gate post made from a RR tie. I had to have two extra guys help me stand it up and get it in the hole. It was the first & LAST RR tie I've ever used.