Fence Posts

/ Fence Posts #31  
I've got hedge trees too, although here in Kansas we called them hedgeapple trees, cause of the bight yellow green fruit (?) that drops off each fall. Anyone know what animal eats those? I find them on the ground in the spring well eaten. The thorns are long and slender and some of the sharpest I've even encountered, they really hurt if you stick one in your hand when you pick up a branch! The tree itself is actually a good shade tree, but oh those thorns............I cut all the low hanging branches off so I don't catch one in the face while on the tractor.

/ Fence Posts #32  
Got some that are probably 50' tall and 3' across at te base, but most are about 1 1/2' thick 30' tall nice shade spread.

/ Fence Posts #33  
Yup - Hedge apples! Rabbits and squirrels LOVE them! Deer will also eat them. Not every Hedge tree will have them though.

/ Fence Posts #34  
Red Cedars - They are like (worse) weeds in this part of the country. got them from 2" tall to 30' tall. Grow FAST. Last year's 1' tall ones are 3' tall this year. MUST KILL......MUST KILL.....MUSSSTT KILLLL!

/ Fence Posts #35  
Aren't those red cedars the ones that smell so good when you cut them open? I have just a few, but they don't seem particularly fast growing, mine are about 15 - 20 ft tall............

/ Fence Posts #36  
Yeah, well I wish my hedgeaple trees didn't, cause I get a few thousand of them on the ground every fall! When you drive over them on the ZTR it really throws you around, of course the blades go right thru them. I think I remember reading that you can spray the trees with something and they won't bear fruit, but I think you have to do it every year......

/ Fence Posts #37  
Seen people sell them at craft shows, craft stores, roadside stands, and even grocery stores! Folks buy them for decoration, crafts, and food for bunnys in the winter. There are about 400 different kinds of Cedar (got at least 3 different ones). I THINK what we have is Western Red Cedar. It is aeromatic, but will take over the world if we aren't careful.....MUST KILLL....MUST KILL....MUUUSSSTTT KKIIILLLLLL........

/ Fence Posts #38  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am pulling it all down and replacing it with HTP made by centaur. You should check it out. Its $135 for a 1320 rol and is tough as heck. )</font>

How many HTP PolyPlus wires are you using for horses? Any top rail?

One said six or more, with the bottom two 12" apart so no hoofs would get caught up.

Another used three strands topped with a wood rail.

/ Fence Posts #39  
Any one have an idea on the proper way to sink a post into the ground.
i heard that putting 2b gravel in the bottom for drainage and surrounding the post with modified and tamping it down will hold a post better then concrete and it wont rot at the ground level.
I will be putting in 3 rail slip board fencing, with a redbrand no climb fencing on the inside to keep the dogs safe.
I live in NE penn. and the ground has rock. lots and lots of rock. I think that i can buy either 7 or 8 foot posts. Which would mean sinking them 2 or 3 foot. I am leaning towards the 7' because of the stone in the ground. its very difficult to go any further.
thanks
forgeblast

/ Fence Posts #40  
Wit your rock, you SHOULDN'T have drainage problems. We usually dig the hole a nd tamp the post it with dirt. We are using Hedge posts, so we don't worry about rotting. With treated posts, you might want a shovel full of gravel in the bottom and tamp tight.