Fence repair

/ Fence repair #1  

houser52

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HD, Kubota L3600
The creek got up and washed out the fence that has given problems for a long time. The gate is closed, no cows on this side of the pasture. I just took my time, cleaned out all the bushes, debris, old wire, bent posts, etc. and repaired it the best I knew how. Maybe it'll hold up until the next monsoon comes through.

Before

After

/ Fence repair #2  
Why page wire? Seems like page wire would trap the most debris and lead to failure quicker when debris becomes a pseudo-dam and force of water behind it really starts pushing. it .

If it's cows you're keeping in, why not a few strands of barbed wire at the crossing? Maybe where each strand has a "weak link" connection that can fail separately if debris rises up to that level and it starts exerting pressure on it.

Good luck!

/ Fence repair
Those are cattle panels, suspended from a cable that runs across the creek. The three separate panels are loosely tied with wire to a couple of the t-posts creating the "weak link". The swollen creek runs from right to left, tearing the panels away from the posts with the debris flowing underneath the panels. The suspended panels and posts are left and all I have to do is wire the panels back to the posts.

As you can see from the top pic, " a few strands of barbed wire" had not done too well and I got tire of patching and rigging a barbed wire rat nest every time the creek got up. My solution might not be the best but it'll be easier to fix back.

/ Fence repair #4  
If those become too much work to reset after each flood, you might try chains.

chaincreekgate.jpg

Bruce

/ Fence repair #5  
Those are cattle panels, suspended from a cable that runs across the creek. The three separate panels are loosely tied with wire to a couple of the t-posts creating the "weak link". The swollen creek runs from right to left, tearing the panels away from the posts with the debris flowing underneath the panels.

Ah ha!! I see said the blind man.
Now that makes sense.

/ Fence repair #6  
Using chains underneath the fencing, to 'fill the gap', across creeks & rivulets is a common method employed here too.

I've seen pipe covering the bottom half of the chain (like a wind chime)... cattle & sheep seem to respect it.

/ Fence repair #7  
i think simillar

/ Fence repair #8  
Bruce - your post #4. Those hanging chains seem to keep the cattle where they are supposed to be?? What is the spacing between each chain? Thanks - Oosik.

/ Fence repair #9  
I've seen chains when driving by, but no experience with them. Photos are from the internet, not local.

Bruce

/ Fence repair #10  
Just a random thought on those hanging chains. They must work to some extent or you would imagine they would be replaced. The SW half of my property line goes out into a shallow lake. My problem with this is winter ice - not moving water or trash & debris. Thirty six years and every spring - the joys of resetting about 600 feet of fence - ripped out by winter ice. The only thing I can say here - I'm way beyond "great" at repairing this section. Fortunately - while the ice rips out the fence - the basic components remain and just have to be reset.