Fencing my garden - how do deer react to string fence?

/ Fencing my garden - how do deer react to string fence? #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
I'm putting in a new garden, and there are a few deer in the area, as well as tons of rabbits. I have some 2' tall 1" square welded wire, I thought I would use on the lower section for the rabbits. I was thinking I would use some T-posts and electric wire or string to cover the upper part.

How do deer react to string/wire type fences, if not electrified? I've heard of the fishing line thing, but I'm mainly thinking of using electric string or tape and only electrifying if it doesn't work without that.

For deer that aren't particularly motivated, how high of a fence is usually needed to deter them?

Thanks!

/ Fencing my garden - how do deer react to string fence? #2  
unmotivated?

Shrubs will do.

If they want to get to the other side, 6 feet is not enough!
I've watched a herd of 60 deer "flow" over a five foot fence just to get to the other side.

/ Fencing my garden - how do deer react to string fence? #3  
Deer are very good at finding any weakness in fencing. They never bothered our garden but they sure enjoyed the apples in my orchard. I've always figured - half for me, half for them and this seems to work out pretty well.

/ Fencing my garden - how do deer react to string fence? #4  
I have six bird dogs and my neighbor has 15 hounds. Leave a couple of them out at night and deer disappear. I am fortunate to live in a rural area where you can leave your dogs out. My boss finally built a 10 foot fence around his garden. My parents bought this stuff in a spray bottle that will take your breath away. They said that has kept the deer out. I will have to ask them what that stuff is called. It is NASTY. My biggest problem is squirrels and crows. I planted corn twice last year and the crows picked every seed out of the ground. I finally bought one of them moving owls and that has kept the crows out. A 22 is the only thing I have found to take care of the squirrels. You are going to always be fighting some kind of critter or bug in your garden. Good luck with whatever you try.

/ Fencing my garden - how do deer react to string fence? #5  
By dumb luck,,, I found out that deer do not like to
jump from,, nor do they like to jump to,, an incline.

When we graded our garden,, all outside edges happened to slope next to the fence.

This was about 1988,,,

IMG_0009.jpg

No deer has ever been in there,, except the time the wife left the gate open.

Compost_zps2fff74d3.jpg

GardenMay182014b_zps8119055c.jpg

/ Fencing my garden - how do deer react to string fence? #6  
WVH1977 - brother, that's the God's honest truth. I've got deer & coons in my orchard, black birds in the corn, pocket gophers eating the spuds and carrots. The wife got really hostile when she saw the chipmunks eating her partially ripe strawberries. So far, nothing likes the Kohlrabi or lettuce - but I'm not holding my breath on that either. Its a constant battle - I'm surprised we get anything at harvest time.

BTW - nobody leaves their dogs out at night around here - don't care what kind of dog/dogs. They will become coyote food if left out. The coyotes have very tricky ways of luring a single dog out of a group of dogs to dine with them for dinner.

/ Fencing my garden - how do deer react to string fence? #7  
In 2015 the deer thought my garden was an all you can eat salad bar. In 2016 I figured I had to try something, so I bought some of the cheaper T posts at TSC and spaced them about 20 ft. apart, took a roll of yellow caution tape and put 1 row at 2 ft. and another at 4 ft. They could have easily jumped over it, but I think they didn't like the fact that the tape jumps and wiggles in even a slight breeze. Anyway they stayed out.

The tape is also stretchy enough that I can easily get in and out, even with my walk behind tiller. And yes, my garden looks like a crime scene, but isn't stealing my vegetables a crime? A crime punishable by death starting Nov. 15th deer season.
Bill

/ Fencing my garden - how do deer react to string fence? #8  
I don't know about down there in Michigan, but up here in Ontario it is illegal to shoot deer over the bait (your garden).:laughing:

/ Fencing my garden - how do deer react to string fence? #9  
I don't know about down there in Michigan, but up here in Ontario it is illegal to shoot deer over the bait (your garden).:laughing:

Good one! Eh? Had to get the eh in there for you Canucks.
LOL
Bill

/ Fencing my garden - how do deer react to string fence? #10  
I've seen a double fence set up to deter deer. Spaced about 6' apart and 6' high- the deer do not like to jump into a space that tight. Otherwise you need about 8' high to keep them out.