Fertilizing a pond

/ Fertilizing a pond #11  
normally it is the very opposite.... with *GET RID OF THE STINKING MOSS / WATER WEEDS*
sorry for caps.

aeration of pond more likely benefit the pond long term. the aeration itself can happen from an air pump, water pump, fountain, or other. BUT it is the water currents that are key. a tornado / large circular currents going around the pond can be more beneficial that some little fountain that spits some water up.

with others need specifics of pond.

dimensions of it. shape of it. depth of it. what is all stocked in pond.

/ Fertilizing a pond #12  
I agree on the turtles....they don't eat big bass. I shoot them to keep the numbers down. The type they are, are what you see regularly in ponds, definitely some snappers. Like you said it's a balancing act.

Herons...yes they are a problem too, but they won't get a 5lb bass I don't think...eagles well. I've seen them do it.

Pond is 8 acres, bass, bluegill, and catfish. When I moved here with heavy grass in the pond, it was not unusual to catch 4-5 lb bass. Biggest I caught from the pond was 6lb. Now I catch fairly solid 12-15 inch bass, seldom larger. I am CERTAIN from my fishing experiences grass = bass...and the experience on the pond bears it out. Having said that....several other factors entire into bass management, as the site you linked too tells us about. But I witnessed eagles fishing this pond regularly for 2 years...once the grass lessened and they could see the bass. They for sure played a big part innailing the best bass because they could see their prey.

So that's the reason for my thinking of wanting the grass to grow a bit more.

The average lifespan of a largmouth bass is 16 years. The size and weight of the bass is not age dependent. So, if the bass never live to get to 3 pounds due to heron/eagle predation, or never get enough nutrients to grow, or are subjected to colder climate where they grow slower, etc... and the older, larger ones die out from old age, you're likely to never see a 5 pounder again.

Here's just one of many videos of a heron choking down what appears to be about a 15" bass. I've personally seen one at the zoo eat a carp that appeared larger than that.

/ Fertilizing a pond #14  
The runoff from fertilizing or over fertilizing agricultural crops will usually cause algae growth in ponds NOT pond grasses.

I would advise that you NOT fertilize your pond.

Ditto... unless you want scum to completely cover your pond.

/ Fertilizing a pond
Ditto... unless you want scum to completely cover your pond.
Although I didn't see it, from pass Google earth pictures I think that was an issue at one point.

As someone suggested, I have thought about aeration., just don't want to deal with the pump issues. I do run a pump on a timer in the winter under a dock to keep that area from freezing over and heaving the dock up.

Since I can't fix the bird problem, I need to research more and come up with the next best solution.

/ Fertilizing a pond #17  
I agree with the others that say not to fertilize. More nutrients mean more algae. More algae can result in blooms (population explosions). When the population crashes and most of the algae die off, their rotting remains will stink AND the bacteria decomposing the remains can deplete oxygen in the water killing many of the fish.

Maybe you can collect the neighbors Christmas trees in Jan and throw those into the pond for some cover.

/ Fertilizing a pond
I agree with the others that say not to fertilize. More nutrients mean more algae. More algae can result in blooms (population explosions). When the population crashes and most of the algae die off, their rotting remains will stink AND the bacteria decomposing the remains can deplete oxygen in the water killing many of the fish.

Maybe you can collect the neighbors Christmas trees in Jan and throw those into the pond for some cover.
Actually have cut a few scrub trees and have done a little of that. Intend to do more.

/ Fertilizing a pond
I can't see well on my phone. :shocked:
The biggest I've seen the eagles take was a 10lb grass carp. I didn't actually witness it, but witness the result.

I first saw the carp trashing around...it was hurt. Was pretty certain at that point an eagle went for it but couldn't manage its size but had hurt it pretty bad. Had to run to town, couple hours later, the carp was on the bank partially eaten. Went in the house and from my living room window watched the eagle come back and feasted.

I've watch them dive bomb fish, go completely under water, then using their version of a breast stroke swim to shore.

Very entertaining but also very aggravating