Field disc. Will my Major pull it?

/ Field disc. Will my Major pull it? #11  
I doubt its that much effort. Take the nut off the axle slide the disks off and slide a peice of pipe over as a spacer. It only would take 30 minutes or so.

That could be done if a 10 foot or so disc on a 12 foot wide frame was acceptable. But the two rear gangs would have to be completely disassembled as the gangbolt heads are towards the outside. Narrowing 4 gangs would hardly be a half-hour job, especially if the gangbolts hadn't been disassembled in the last 40 or 50 years. The fastest, easiest way to accomplish the job would be to simply torch the discs off, leaving the disc centers right between the spools and the gangbolts tight. But none of this appeals to me; I'd rather buy a machine suited to my tractor, conditions, and needs.

/ Field disc. Will my Major pull it?
That could be done if a 10 foot or so disc on a 12 foot wide frame was acceptable. But the two rear gangs would have to be completely disassembled as the gangbolt heads are towards the outside. Narrowing 4 gangs would hardly be a half-hour job, especially if the gangbolts hadn't been disassembled in the last 40 or 50 years. The fastest, easiest way to accomplish the job would be to simply torch the discs off, leaving the disc centers right between the spools and the gangbolts tight. But none of this appeals to me; I'd rather buy a machine suited to my tractor, conditions, and needs.

Hence, my query. :scratchchin::wink:
Good info folks! Keep it coming!:thumbsup:

/ Field disc. Will my Major pull it? #13  
Marveltone said:
Hence, my query. :scratchchin::wink:
Good info folks! Keep it coming!:thumbsup:

What else do you want to know. Operation of the disks, tricks for smoothing the field better...

/ Field disc. Will my Major pull it?
I guess my biggest question is am I more likely to run out of traction or power? Chances are the only way I'll know is to buy the silly disc and try it next spring.

Joe

/ Field disc. Will my Major pull it? #15  
I guess my biggest question is am I more likely to run out of traction or power? Chances are the only way I'll know is to buy the silly disc and try it next spring.

Joe

If it don't work you can sell it and make a profit most likely.

/ Field disc. Will my Major pull it? #16  
I think if you have a problem pulling it, lack of traction will occur before lack of HP.

/ Field disc. Will my Major pull it? #17  
Of course if you have a problem you can get by in a pinch by lowering the wheels and reducing depth of cut, especially in tough areas. I have one field where I had to do that for a few passes this year until I got it worked up well enough I could get it sunk in down to the spools. I use it only behind a L5740 Kubota with a bucket of gravel for ballast in front and cast wheel weights in back. Traction is still my limit in the rough ground. It is a 13 foot tandem with 18 inch blades ballasted with an extra 700 pounds of steel ballast.