Filings in filter

/ Filings in filter #1  

Summitsrule

Tractor
Nothing yet
Hey tractor guru痴.

Doing my 800 hr service on my 2011 L3940HST with a cab, owned since new.

When I pulled the oil filter on the transmission, (which I believe is the suction filter for the pump) I found a significant amount of filings. Some look like drilling filings. All magnetic. Trying to attach a picture. What are your thoughts. HST filter was clean, going to dig in the oil drain bucket now to see if I find more.

FYI about maintenance, it痴 all been done as per the manual, by me, except the 400 hour.

50 hr got both transmission filters.
200 hr got both filters again.
Dealer did 400 hour transmission oil and both filters again.
600 hour got both filters again.
Here I am at 800 hours doing the big service myself.

I can稚 say I致e e seen filings like this before but my memory isn稚 perfect. I would think I would remember seeing this. One thought is every time I replaced filters the oil was pouring out as I spun off the filters and it may have washed the filings into my bucket and I missed seeing them. This time I drained all fluids, then spun off the filters.

I don稚 like what I知 seeing but it looks like crap from when machined when new. But then again I am certain I never saw thus till now.

Tractor works normal, never had any failures either.

Should I be concerned? Snow is coming fast, I知 about to mount my front mount snow blower in for the winter, and I am very busy so I値l either forget about it for the winter and pull the filter again in the spring, or if it痴 something that has been seen before and I need to do a repair I知 trading it in tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

/ Filings in filter
Not sure why my message is all messed up??

And not sure how to attach a picture.

/ Filings in filter #3  
I wouldn't be too concerned myself;filter did it's job.I wouldn't trade;the "40" series are good tractors and no pollution controls.
Yours is low hours too;I have 1200 on mine(L4240).

/ Filings in filter
Wish I could upload the picture. I壇 say there is enough filings to half fill a 1 once shot glass.

/ Filings in filter #5  
Wish I could upload the picture. I壇 say there is enough filings to half fill a 1 once shot glass.

That's a lot, particularly after multiple filter changes.

Do you always return the engine to idle before turning off the PTO?

SDT

/ Filings in filter #6  
Not sure why my message is all messed up??

And not sure how to attach a picture.
something messed up with Unicode characters. I ran into that before. "¥" is the unicode character for YEN, the Japanese currency. there are other unwanted Unicode characters being posted here too. such as € the English Euro sign replacing the characters you mean to post. I believe this is a problem for the Administrator to fix.. I use Western text encoding in my browser, perhaps you have yours set to Unicode?. I don't get that problem anymore..

/ Filings in filter
That's a lot, particularly after multiple filter changes.

Do you always return the engine to idle before turning off the PTO?

SDT

Almost never. And I use my pto a lot, meaning from on to off and off to on. I do drop the rpm but to an idle, no definitely not. For tilling, I have many short runs to till, and don稚 like the banging the tiller makes when it痴 not in the dirt. Wouldn稚 that just wear on a clutch that engages the PTO? This is not clutch material in the filter from my best guess.

Maybe it痴 time to read the manua

/ Filings in filter
something messed up with Unicode characters. I ran into that before. "・" is the unicode character for YEN, the Japanese currency. there are other unwanted Unicode characters being posted here too. such as € the English Euro sign replacing the characters you mean to post. I believe this is a problem for the Administrator to fix.. I use Western text encoding in my browser, perhaps you have yours set to Unicode?. I don't get that problem anymore..

Just using Safari on IPhone?

/ Filings in filter #9  
Typical of Grand L’s. Not sure why somebody didn’t chime in right away. My L3710 and L5740 had lots of filings on the magnet even on their second change (traded the 3710 for the 5740 at 800 hours, traded the 5740 for current L6060 at 850 hours). Found lots of pictures here that looked even worse than mine. Can’t be sure yours doesn’t have a problem but I do know that if the magnet was clean of machining debris at an oil change prior to 1,000 hours, it would be unusual.

/ Filings in filter
Typical of Grand L痴. Not sure why somebody didn稚 chime in right away. My L3710 and L5740 had lots of filings on the magnet even on their second change (traded the 3710 for the 5740 at 800 hours, traded the 5740 for current L6060 at 850 hours). Found lots of pictures here that looked even worse than mine. Can稚 be sure yours doesn稚 have a problem but I do know that if the magnet was clean of machining debris at an oil change prior to 1,000 hours, it would be unusual.

Thanks, I feel better about it now. See what she looks like at 1,000 hours I guess.