Fill me in on the turbochargers

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #61  
most turbo failures are due to being shut down without cool down ( idle for XXX minutes ) the turbo shaft is run thru the center bearings that are oil cooled ( hot exhaust one side , fresh air being compressed on the other side of the snail ... both get really hot ) ... shutting down without idling allows the heat from the shaft to migrate to the bearings , but the engine is off and there is no oil cooling to take the heat away .... so the oil in the bearings gets cooked and gums up the bearings ... eventually the bearings seize and the turbo won't spin up...

idling allows things to cool off ......

extended idling wastes fuel and can coke up some turbos .

VNT turbos ( variable vane ) sometimes fail from coking up the internal mechanisms ( extended idling ) .... so the turbo lessons are :

1 warm up the engine a bit before putting a load to it

2 let the engine idle a bit to cool things down if you were on the turbo

3 some turbos have a period of lag (time to spin up) after you hit the pedal ....

4 turbos can be more efficient and produce more power out of a smaller engine ...

5 turbos are expensive when they go/fail ....

treat your machines properly and they will last a long time ,,,, treat them badly and they will be more expensive than that last divorce .....

I would agree with this observation. I have 5 Turbos.....2 on tractors, one on a dozer, excavator, and my F350. For the equipment, most noticeable when a load is applied and you get the extra "oomph" when the rpm's are up...:thumbsup:
I've never had a problem with turbo's except the one on a Saab 900 many many years ago....not sure why I even bought that car....:confused3::laughing:

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #62  
most turbo failures are due to being shut down without cool down ( idle for XXX minutes ) the turbo shaft is run thru the center bearings that are oil cooled ( hot exhaust one side , fresh air being compressed on the other side of the snail ... both get really hot ) ... shutting down without idling allows the heat from the shaft to migrate to the bearings , but the engine is off and there is no oil cooling to take the heat away .... so the oil in the bearings gets cooked and gums up the bearings ... eventually the bearings seize and the turbo won't spin up...

idling allows things to cool off ......

extended idling wastes fuel and can coke up some turbos .

VNT turbos ( variable vane ) sometimes fail from coking up the internal mechanisms ( extended idling ) .... so the turbo lessons are :

1 warm up the engine a bit before putting a load to it

2 let the engine idle a bit to cool things down if you were on the turbo

3 some turbos have a period of lag (time to spin up) after you hit the pedal ....

4 turbos can be more efficient and produce more power out of a smaller engine ...

5 turbos are expensive when they go/fail ....

treat your machines properly and they will last a long time ,,,, treat them badly and they will be more expensive than that last divorce .....

I would agree with this observation. I have 5 Turbos.....2 on tractors, one on a dozer, excavator, and my F350. For the equipment, most noticeable when a load is applied and you get the extra "oomph" when the rpm's are up...:thumbsup:
I've never had a problem with turbo's except the one on a Saab 900 many many years ago....not sure why I even bought that car....:confused3::laughing:

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #63  
Reading through this thread, I have never seen anyone mention the proper sizing of the added turbo. Using too large of a turbo would give severe turbo lag, the turbo would have to spool up at much higher rpm before becoming efficient. Using too small of a turbo would provide more boost at lower rpm but would be inefficient at higher rpm.

I also noted that many people mentioned a cool down period after heavy usage. The cool down is a must on turbos that are only oil cooled. I don't see why one couldn't add a turbo timer as I have done on my modified car. Turbo timers allow a programmable idle / cool down time.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #64  
Is Turbo Lag really an issue with tractors though? Cars & trucks have acceleration to deal with. For the most part that's not that big of a deal with a tractor. A bit more with at utility tractor than an ag tractor, but still with a tractor, you tend to use the throttle a fair bit less. At least that's been my experience with my HST, I suppose using a gear tractor for utility work might be a bit different.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #65  
one of the reasons turbos are used is that more power can come from a smaller engine - in smaller tractors, more weight might be helpful in putting the power to the ground - for me, I would go with the most suitable tractor for my needs regardless of turbo or non turbo - for sure you have to start off with something with the weight and power needed for the job or jobs you intend to do - that might mean a turbo or naturally aspirated and many tractors are retrofitted with a turbo later - in any event if you want turbo, a JD4020 was na but I believe the 4320 was the same tractor with turbo and perhaps another 15-20 HP ...van

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #66  
one of the reasons turbos are used is that more power can come from a smaller engine - in smaller tractors, more weight might be helpful in putting the power to the ground - for me, I would go with the most suitable tractor for my needs regardless of turbo or non turbo - for sure you have to start off with something with the weight and power needed for the job or jobs you intend to do - that might mean a turbo or naturally aspirated and many tractors are retrofitted with a turbo later - in any event if you want turbo, a JD4020 was na but I believe the 4320 was the same tractor with turbo and perhaps another 15-20 HP ...van

You are forgetting the fact turbos are inherently cool. :) I was really depressed when getting my very well used F250 farm truck that I ended up with a gasser V8 instead of a diesel with that nice turbo sound. Diesel would have almost doubled the price more on a $4k truck.

But all things considered, I'd prefer my tractor to be as simple as possible, which means no complex turbo with heat, idling & cooling issues. Who cares if you need a heavier tractor? Most people load the tires & strap on other ballast anyway, it's not like a car where light weight means better fuel economy.

As a practical matter get something reliable that does what you need at the right price point & don't worry about how the manufacturer gets the HP requirements that meet your requirements.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #67  
as for the OP. back in the 80's yanmar put turbos on tractors (that's as far back as I can recall turbos on tractors.) That would have been a yanmar 3810 or a JD 1050 same engine. also the same engine as a yanmar 336 or a JD 950 except for the turbo, which provided more HP

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #68  
You are forgetting the fact turbos are inherently cool. :) I was really depressed when getting my very well used F250 farm truck that I ended up with a gasser V8 instead of a diesel with that nice turbo sound. Diesel would have almost doubled the price more on a $4k truck.

But all things considered, I'd prefer my tractor to be as simple as possible, which means no complex turbo with heat, idling & cooling issues. Who cares if you need a heavier tractor? Most people load the tires & strap on other ballast anyway, it's not like a car where light weight means better fuel economy.

As a practical matter get something reliable that does what you need at the right price point & don't worry about how the manufacturer gets the HP requirements that meet your requirements.
A major advantage is the ability to maintain nominal power at higher altitude. Im not sure if thats been mentioned. Didnt see it.
larry

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #69  
A major advantage is the ability to maintain nominal power at higher altitude. Im not sure if thats been mentioned. Didnt see it.
larry

It was mentioned in post #10, although I'm not sure "nominal power" is the correct term since "rated power" seems to be standard.

/ Fill me in on the turbochargers #70  
Nominal is "named". ... Altho the distinctions seem to be as confused as those between impregnable and impregnable. :confused2: -- "Rated" would be more clear.

,,,Oh yeah. Forgot that earlier altitude reference for turbo.
larry