Filling a pond

/ Filling a pond #1  

ch47dpilot

Gold Member
Tractor
07 Kubota L3400
I saw the thread by EddieWalker and with over 1800 replies I might have missed this question so I apologize if it's a repeat. I know most farm ponds are filled by damming a creek or fill from a natural spring or run-off. At times I see ponds(like on golf courses) were neither option is being uses. Does anyone know how they fill them? I can't believe they're using a well and a hose, but I don't see any other option. Where I plan to put a pond it will be creek feed(creek starts from underground spring about 200ft away) and during hard droughts the creek dries up. Just trying to find other alternatives to filling the pond if I make it. Also other than the creek about 5-10 acres drain into that area so that will help fill it.

/ Filling a pond #2  
Back several eons ago, I built a pond of about 2 acres in size for raising catfish. It had a levee on all sides to prevent runoff from getting into it. We filled it with a 2" well pump. Took about a week or less to fill it 8 feet deep since a lot of the water went to saturate the levee and pond bottom. We would top it off maybe once a week or so by running the pump for half a day or so. It put out about 55 gallons per minute so it doesnt take long to fill up a big hole with that kind of water and I would think that a golf course might have a 6 or 8 inch irrigation well for their use which would put out thousands of gallons per minute.