Ballast filling tires, foam calcum, beet juice anyothers pros cons.

/ filling tires, foam calcum, beet juice anyothers pros cons. #1  

tman1020

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct225 and Bad Boy zero turn
Hello everyone im new here and wanted to say hello, i thought this could use some conversation. i just purchased a brand new bobcat ct225 2012 model and i think it is the best thing since sliced bread. it will hopefully be replacing my 80s model yanmar 1702 geardrive. anyway the manual calls for calcum in rear for ballast due to front end loader which i have used before with good luck but was condidering foam ruber even though it would be more money. the problem is the manual states not to use foam rubber or it will void warranty. it does not say why or if the fronts would be ok or not but not the backs it just says not to use ??? i can not think of a single reason why this could be. to much weight? to much traction? does not seam like that could be it but thats all i can come up with. any one else have any idea? also i only know of 3 options in this area; calcum, foam ruber, and beet juice. any other better options out there? these all have there disadvantages... calcum=corosive. beet juice= smelly in hot weather even through tires ive heard and if you puntcure you can stain what ever it contacts. foam rubber price and my warranty. thx

/ filling tires, foam calcum, beet juice anyothers pros cons. #2  
What's wrong with Washer fluid? Good weight, no warranty problems, easy to use, fairly cheap, good to -20 degrees. Used it for the last 20 years in my lawn tractors. My $.02, good luck.

/ filling tires, foam calcum, beet juice anyothers pros cons.
sounds like a good cost effictive idea. but does not help with punctures though. and i dont think it is as heavy as the other options though.thanks

/ filling tires, foam calcum, beet juice anyothers pros cons. #4  
Foam is good if you have issues with thorns or other sharp objects that cause you a lot of flats, otherwise there beet juice is the next most costly item. In a cost comparison for me, windshield washer fluid and anti-freeze diluted to provide -20F cost about the same thing so either of those would work for you. If you could find methanol in bulk and mix it yourself, it may be slightly cheaper than WSF. Either of these would be ok. I also think that there is varying degrees of density for the foam that you could use to get the weight you desire that wouldn't compromise your warranty. If you don't exceed the weight of calcium chloride mix then you shouldn't have an issue with warranty. For some reason, none of the CUT manufacturers allow front tires to be ballasted, although they do allow front weights which do the same thing for traction just cost 4x more. That is also an option, adding wheel weights to the rear wheels.

/ filling tires, foam calcum, beet juice anyothers pros cons. #5  
If I had a puncture problems on my property I'd probably slime them and use wheel weights. Having said that, my fronts used to get punctures a lot and they were slimed until I bought a new set. The rears are washer fluid filled and I haven't had a puncture yet, knock on wood.

Kevin

If I had a puncture problems on my property I'd probably slime them and use wheel weights. Having said that, my fronts used to get punctures a lot and they were slimed until I bought a new set. The rears are washer fluid filled and I haven't had a puncture yet, knock on wood.

Kevin

So do you guys think it's the weight that causes the warranty issue with the foam or something else? Like Gary says they allow weights on the front of the tractor but then not foam filled tire can't seem to understand why that would be a problem. Don't necessarily want to add weight to the front tires just like the idea of not having to deal with flats anymore worked out great my Yanmar haven't had a flat sense and tires hold solid when I put a load in the front bucket. I like the idea about washer fluid in the rear tires if foam won't work especially for the cost savings. Thanks for the opinions

/ filling tires, foam calcum, beet juice anyothers pros cons. #7  
I have Rimguard in my tires, that's the beet juice stuff, it works great, and it isn't toxic, if it leaks out, I don't have to worry about kids and animals getting into it. And it doesn't rust out the rims if it does leak. I had a old tractor with calcium in it, it started leaking, very, very little, and within a couple of months, the whole rim fell apart. And getting somebody to fix the rim like that is very expensive.

Does that rim guard cause the tires to put off a smell in the summer heat? I've heard that can start to happen after a while

/ filling tires, foam calcum, beet juice anyothers pros cons. #9  
I have had rim guard in my tires for two years now and I have never noticed a smell from them in the least bit.

/ filling tires, foam calcum, beet juice anyothers pros cons. #10  
The other alternative is to forget loading the tires and use a dedicated counterweight. The major positive to the counterweight is that it takes weight off the front axles, which reduces wear, and tear. In a recent discussion in the Kioti forum, the topic was being discussed, and the folks from Michigan Iron and Equipment (a large, well respected Kioti dealer) said they tested adding the same amount of weight to the rear tires, and on the 3pt. Adding weight to the tires took no weight off the front tires, and adding it to the 3pt showed a 35% reduction in the front axle loading. I don't know about anybody else, but that seems like it has to be a good thing.

The other thing is that if you want your tractor to be lighter (say for mowing the lawn), you're stuck with the weight of loaded tires, where you aren't with a counterweight. Kioti specs 700lbs on the 3pt for the corresponding CK model, so even a 55gal barrel with concrete would easily be enough weight.