Ballast Filling Tractor Tires

/ Filling Tractor Tires #1  

rox

Veteran Member
I love this Community!!! Everyone here knows so much and I know nothing at all about equipment, so I am so excited to join. My husband and I are new farmers, really new, like a couple months new. Neither one of us has a farming background. We purchasd an olive farm in Provence France and it has steep, really steep hills. It is really hilly here, tomorrow when it is light I will take some pictures. It is steep hills with stone terraces, and the olive trees are on the terraces. My husband says it is terrifying to drive the tractor up and down all the hills but one hill in particualr is really bad. The previous farm worker fliped the tractor 3 times in 7 years. I read in this forum about filling tires for "front end loaders?" would that work for a tractor to? Would that help my husband stay on the ground?

Attachments

• 486732-IMGP0071A.jpg
    486732-IMGP0071A.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 583
   / Filling Tractor Tires #2  
Welcome.! And congratulations that is some retirement spot. Yes by all means fill the tires and do anything else to make it as safe as possible to work on those hills. I am sure you will get and can find much advise on the subject. Good luck in your new endeavorer it sure sounds fun.! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Filling Tractor Tires
Jastin,
Thanks for your reply /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was worried no one would post an answer and you were kind enough to do that. Here is another phot showing a different section with even more of the hills showing.

Attachments

• 486753-IMGP0072B.jpg
    486753-IMGP0072B.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 431
   / Filling Tractor Tires #4  
When I first reat your post I thought you might have the ideal use for a walk behind 2-wheel tractor...

Make sure the tractor your husband (and you?) use has roll over protection and a seat belt. Nothing would be worse than an early end to one's retirement!

Anything you can do to lower the tractor's center of gravity will help add stability on hills. Filling tires with something does this.

Up and down is much safer than sideways.

Slow is better than fast on any slope.

I thought the Italians grew the olives and the French grew the wine grapes... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Are you close to the border by chance? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Filling Tractor Tires #5  
Your land looks beautiful! I hope I'm that lucky and in 40 years when I retire, I hope to live somewhere that nice!

Also, though I have little knowledge or experience compared to others here, let me first welcome you! (I've never actually welcomed someone here, so this is a first to me too!)

All of the farmers in my area fill their tires. While this does not necessarly keep you safe on unsafe slopes, it's at least a start. The farmers here claim that the filled tires do better in the mud and keep the center of gravity (COG) very low. You can also fill the front tires or add weights. This will improve forward-rear stability of the tractor while going up adn down the hills. But I was warned by my farmer neighbors that it is important to remember that weight + gravity = momentum. If it's muddy and you start to slide, the added weight will not necessarly help you stop. Now I know there are a ton of physics problems to do here, and while I do know comptuers, I don't claim to know physics. So I'll leave that to the experts.

But all this said (and I know I've probably said way too much but i'm tired and I tend to ramble when i'm tired....) I would go ahead and fill the tires. Also, if you can give some ideas of how steep these slopes are and pictures of the actual lane you will be driving down, I'm sure someone here can tell you the safest way to traverse it. (There is a good thread that I can't find right now about how to measure slopes with a carpenter's level and a ruler)

Anyway, to summarize: Fill the tires, Welcome to TBN and enjoy the beautiful property!!!!!

/ Filling Tractor Tires
Henro,
The tractor has a bar on top, but you can have it up or down. You know, I think he has not been putting it up lately now that I think about it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I don't think the tractor has a seat belt. Really the tractor is to big for a lot of our work. We re thinking of getting some kind of UTV. Looking at the Kabuta (spelling) RV model, I think that is what it is. We need something smaller. Actually he just wants to get a rototiller. We have 12 acres. A lot of it is no problem but a good portion is terraced. Our big probem is spraying. In order to spray he has to get the trator up the hills to power the sprayer. Then he stops at the end of the terraces and walks with the hose and sprays. We have 1,500 olive trees and are close to Marseilles, between Spain and Italy. I am busy pulling weeds by hand and pruing the suckers that grow on the bottom of the trees. I haven't had the courage to even get on the tractor yet. I'll probably hold out for something smaller than a tractor.

/ Filling Tractor Tires #7  
From what you describe, a utility ATV like the Kubota is the best bet. You can get 12V sprayers for them that run off the battery already on the vehicle. I'm sure if more power is needed, that could be handled as well too!

Good luck and BE SAFE. Oh ya. If there is no seat belt, make sure you husband leaves the ROPS (Roll Over Protection System) folded so he has an easier way to jump free. They only work with a seatbelt!

/ Filling Tractor Tires
THANK YOU for that advice! No seat belt then don't use the top bar. Many thanks...

/ Filling Tractor Tires #9  
Rox:
I guess I felt guilty not posting a reply to this thread regarding the ROPS idea. Since your tractor has the roll bar, it may be safer to add a seat belt. I think you can get them at any auto parts store and find a good place to secure it. That way, if the tractor were to flip, your husband would be dangling from the seat belt while the roll bar keeps him from getting crushed. While jumping out of the way may be best if he has no ROPS, I think that since they are there, it would be safest to just add the seat belt.

There. I don't feel I've mislead anyone now. I'll be able to sleep!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Filling Tractor Tires #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I know nothing at all about equipment )</font>

And I know nothing at all about growing olives (sure know how and like to eat'em, though, and the only cooking oil we use is olive oil). Glad to have you join the forum. That's a pretty place, but as you already know, great care is necessary on hills to avoid a tragic accident with that tractor. I'd really add a seat belt myself, if it doesn't have one, and have that roll bar UP.

Good luck with the new farm.