Filming in Public Places?

/ Filming in Public Places? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I was recently at the post office and noticed someone making a video of the place.

The reason I noticed is another customer was having a meltdown saying she does not consent to being filmed and was calling 911… yes really calling 911 for a person with a smart phone recording.

I just figure everyone everywhere in public is always being recorded with no expectation of privacy when out and about…

Can’t walk or drive down the street or be in a business or interact with law enforcement without being recorded it seems.…

Heck, when Doctors Lunches are delivered at work or transplant tissue arrives by courier they always capture the delivery and company ID of the person receiving…

From what I gather quietly recording in public isn’t a crime at least in California…

I use to show my cars at car shows and pictures even 40 years ago were expected… even found my car on front page of the local paper and had no idea until opening my morning paper…

Just curious if similar where other TBN members reside?

Last edited:
   / Filming in Public Places? #2  
There is no right to privation publicity but what you describe sounds like one of the “1st amendment auditors” that’s trending on YouTube. They basically just make a nuisance until they get arrested then complain that they were trying to exercise their 1st amendment rights or whatever. Highly annoying, just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should…and if you do you should still have some consideration of others.

/ Filming in Public Places?
I just needed holiday stamps so not sure what transpired except during the brief time during my visit.

I’m guessing I’m filmed many times throughout my day and seldom realize it.

Maybe because the person filming wasn’t being discrete is why the other person had a meltdown?

My brother at the Christmas tree farm use to be over run with professional photographer holiday shoots so much so he came up with a formal policy for professional filming on farm property… he has a form and collects a $50 fee for a day license to film…

This has stopped cold 99% of the pro filming but 2 did pay the $50… and very professional in every way.

The red 1948 Farmall Cub remains the star every year… it’s very photogenic!

/ Filming in Public Places? #4  
I do believe that when it comes to ANY government facility or US Postal office, that rule applies even if it's not posted. No firearms or recording devices allowed. That includes libraries and places of worship as well and many public places like restaurants, but with them, they must have the proper signage posted in a prominent place.
Public Areas of government buildings do not prohibit picture taking. People’s interpretations of the rules/laws do.

/ Filming in Public Places? #5  
I’m guessing I’m filmed many times throughout my day and seldom realize it.

Maybe because the person filming wasn’t being discrete is why the other person had a meltdown?
Exactly, all kinds of places are doing “security footage”
The person having a meltdown becomes the star of the show. The meltdowners really seem to miss that point.

/ Filming in Public Places? #6  
In reality celluloid recording went out years ago, though I still have a 35mm camera that uses it and you can still purchase 35mm cassette film packs and there are stull developers that will develop it.

Proper term is 'electronic recording device', not filming and I always get a kick out of the term 'meltdown' as well. Last time I checked, people don't 'melt', they act like idiots. Best thing to do in that case (so the person don't 'melt') is take yourself out of the equation entirely and let the 'melter' continue melting. Kind of like You Tube. I watch YT video's not for the projected content but to observe all the surroundings the electronic recording device records. It is always amazing what the recording device records that the creator has no idea about and that also applies to pictures and video's posted on this site and many others as well. Smart creators are careful about the recording device 'sees' but most don't have a clue in reality. You'd be surprised what the recording device records, I know I am always, so I observe and take everything in.

/ Filming in Public Places?
When I think of meltdown the image of the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz in a tizzy making threats melting into a puddle on the floor...

Maybe my age is showing because people Ive seen often act like a witch when not getting their way...

Last edited:
   / Filming in Public Places? #8  
Public Areas of government buildings do not prohibit picture taking. People’s interpretations of the rules/laws do.
Not correct. If the public place has in place regulations that are posted in a prominent location, that posting always takes precedent over the mandates. I never interpret. Doing that can and will cause you grief in the end, but then I rarely record anything on my cell phone anyway' especially in any public venue.

I fact in my view, I don't care for cell phones in the first place. Only reason I have one is to communicate electronically if necessary. Why I don't have a fancy one and I'm considering a simple flip phone presently. Don't need or want all those features and my cell phone monthly bill reflects that as well. Been paying 30 bucks a month and even that is excessive in my view. I much prefer the SAT phone I own but air time is very expensive and unlike a cell phone, SAT phones work everywhere with no dead spots because they connect with communications satellites directly but you pay for that and it ain't cheap and SAT phones don't have cameras in them either. Strictly voice communications and no 'texting' either at least with the one I own and you buy and own them and the purchase price isn't cheap either. Between billed air time and the phone itself it's expensive but people who own them like I do, use them for essential communications only. I can be literally on top of Mount Everest (not that I would be) and connect with various communications satellite's, same applies to being say in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico. Good everywhere, not just within the communications range of a cellular antenna, which, in reality are quite limited and why they are everywhere today. Not sure if you are aware of it but the touted 5G deal only works with a cluster of antenna's so 99% of the time you are communicating at 4G or even less.

/ Filming in Public Places? #9  
USPS poster 7, required to be posted in each post office, allows for news recording in public areas. The 1st amendment auditors won a Supreme Court case that allows them to claim to be independent journalists recording matters of interest to the public. So they make a nuisance of themselves hoping to be arrested and then file civil suit against the police. USPS employees don't know what is allowed so they call the police. Police don't know that criminal trespass doesn't apply so they make an arrest when the auditor refuses to leave. The jurisdictions then settle out of court, which paved the way for a new cottage industry, including posting on Youtube and making money.

"Photographs for news purposes may be taken in entrances, lobbies, foyers, corridors, or auditoriums when used for public meetings except where prohibited by official signs or Security Force personnel or other authorized personnel or a federal court order or rule. Other photographs may be taken only with the permission of the local Postmaster or installation head."