FIMCO sprayer check valve

/ FIMCO sprayer check valve #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
I have a 40 Gal Fimco 3 point hitch sprayer. It won't hold prime. Ran 3 tanks of round up through it. Went to clean it and pump runs but won't build pressure.

Screen on intake line is clean. Pulled intake line and it is clean.

According to the internet tubes the check valve is next most likely culprit. Looks easy enough to change out. However I cannot find one locally. Anyone know if it is something that just needs cleaned well or if I can tell from looking at it if it is out of tolerance and actually needs to be replaced?

I am at work at the moment and this happened last night. So I'll pull it when I get home to look at it.

Thanks for any advice.....

/ FIMCO sprayer check valve #2  
How old is your pump? When mine went out after one year, I called them up and they sent me a new pump for free.

/ FIMCO sprayer check valve
How old is your pump? When mine went out after one year, I called them up and they sent me a new pump for free.

Duh did not think of that. Less than a year old.

/ FIMCO sprayer check valve #4  
I had a similar experience with my Fimco 25 gallon ATV sprayer ... :thumbsup:

So just got off the phone with FIMCO customer support. First thing the guy asked me was what I was spraying. Generic Roundup with a surfacant. He said that is a known problem for their check valve.

He recommends pulling check valve and soaking in warm soapy water for an hour and then giving a good scrub with a tooth brush.

Further recommendation is to cease using surfactant in the roundup or use dish soap as the surfactant. Given there is no material cost difference between a product with surfactant included I'd like to keep using it. Is dish soap a good alternative and if so how much to add to a 40 gallon tank? Dish soap is not that expensive and if it keeps me from having to soak the check valve and works as a good surfactant then I would likely just do that.

/ FIMCO sprayer check valve #6  
I never liked using dish soap because it would foam up real bad making it difficult to fully fill subsequent tanks.

/ FIMCO sprayer check valve #7  
If you have a PTO pump, most won't spray if they rotate and are mounted upside down. Just a thought.

I never liked using dish soap because it would foam up real bad making it difficult to fully fill subsequent tanks.

Yeah I was getting enough foaming with just the chemical on subsequent tanks.

If you have a PTO pump, most won't spray if they rotate and are mounted upside down. Just a thought.

Pump is 12 volt and hooks up to the battery with alligator clips. Pump starts humming when hooked up. Just no fluid pulled from tank and pushed out boom or spot sprayer.

So here is the update. FIMCO said clean the check valve. Did that. No help. So they are sending me a new one.

However they say that since I was using surfactant this is the only time they will replace it. The thing that upsets me is that the manual does not say anything about surfractant being an issue.

New check valve should arrive tomorrow.

/ FIMCO sprayer check valve #10  
You can get an anti foam agent from a farm store.

Using dish soap as a surfactant--wetting agent--can create it's own problems by changing the dynamics of the chemical. I killed some larch trees once with a chemical approved for them--their bugs, actually--by adding dishwashing soap. Recently I saw a warning on a chemical label advising against the use of the dishwashing liquid. I no longer add it but buy generic roundup with the surfactant already added. It works fine. Just my two cents here.