Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #21  
Volfandt said:
Wished I had enough BH work to keep mine on all the time. As it is, I mount and dismount the FEL & BH as needed and keep the MMM mounted all through the mowing season.

That's it.

If you have THAT much BH work, no point in worrying about the lawn anyway.

After I get my utilities and grading finished, my BX will more-or-less become a dedicated mower.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #22  
I got the BX because it can do it all (at the scale of my yard anyway) initially and then be primarily a good mower with very occaisional BH work. FEL a little more often but usually for things where having the MMM on is not an issue (moving mulch, for example). The BX cuts SO much better than my 30 year old Craftsman riding mower. I'm sure a modern ZTR or AWS tractor would be best of all but space and money constraints meant I needed a one machine for all solution. If you can do otherwise more power to you.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor.
slewisma said:
I got the BX because it can do it all (at the scale of my yard anyway) initially and then be primarily a good mower with very occaisional BH work. FEL a little more often but usually for things where having the MMM on is not an issue (moving mulch, for example). The BX cuts SO much better than my 30 year old Craftsman riding mower. I'm sure a modern ZTR or AWS tractor would be best of all but space and money constraints meant I needed a one machine for all solution. If you can do otherwise more power to you.

Well I don't know about you but my mower deck cost $1500 which is exactly how much I am paying for my new riding mower. I wish I hadn't bought the deck in the first place - from a financial standpoint it's a wash.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #24  
acohen100 said:
I don't have the Husq in yet - next weekend. We have a tax-free weekend here in VT next weekend. Also I found a slightly used one at TSC this week with 10 hours on it that they are holding for me. (They say someone bought it, used it for a weekend and wanted something bigger.) Also I have a 10% off coupon. All together this will save me about $700 and I will get it for about $1500 out the door. I just couldn't pass that up.

Unless your budget is tight, I would look at a used commercial mower over the Husque. I looked at them and it does appear heavier duty than some of the other light use mowers but the engine is only good for about 1000 hours and I bet the deck is engineered for about the same.

A commercial mower with a diesel engine is designed to be abused and should last for decades.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #25  
dangerdoc said:
Unless your budget is tight, I would look at a used commercial mower over the Husque. I looked at them and it does appear heavier duty than some of the other light use mowers but the engine is only good for about 1000 hours and I bet the deck is engineered for about the same.

A commercial mower with a diesel engine is designed to be abused and should last for decades.
There are a lot of ways to look at it. A commercial used mower used comercially for 1 or 2 years is like a home owner using it on their own yard for decades. There is no doubt they are made to last decades, so is the bx23 with the mmm. But depending on the op uses, he should get at least 5 years(at a minimum) out of the unit he just bought. So even if he had to buy it twice, it still may be cheaper then buying a commercial unit.

For me, I have been using my grandfather's 1965 cub cadet 70 1965 cub cadet 70 for mowing the yard up till last season. With leaves in the fall way out of hand and extremely time consuming, i had to do something so i wanted the cyclone rake. So i needed a tractor with more hp and the cub needed a break. So last season i bought a used scotts garden tractor scotts garden tractor (identical to deere G100) w/39 hrs. It came with a 54" deck that never been used and a front mount snowblower for $2K. He had the reciept and paid over $5500 new. I wanted the BX24 at the time for alot of landscaping that needs to be done, but didnt think i could swing it. But this year things changed and I was able to buy the bx24 and did. So i am glad i have all three because the cub i use to pul a trailer around, the scott i use to mow with or without the CR, and the bx24 i am using for work around the yard. But before I bought the scotts, i wanted the bx24 to do everything. My grandfather bought the cub in 65' and it was built tough and lasted all these years, I wanted to do the same and buy the bx24 and be my last tractor i buy. But having all these tractors around is VERY convienent and if and when the scott tractor dies i will probably get the mmm for bx24 and I hope to use it forever since nearly all my landscaping needs will be done.

Like i said there are a lot of ways to look at it. So good luck with your purchase, but you may want to hang on to that mmm though. :D

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #26  
I pull a 60" mower on my 3 point hitch. I didn't want the extra effort to un/install a MMM and thought ground clearance might be an issue for MMM when doing rough work with my FEL. It still takes some effort to change but it gets easier each time. Turning radius is greater but if you don't have to mow a lot of tight spaces it might be worth considering. Also lets you back in under trees etc.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #27  
FullBucket said:
I pull a 60" mower on my 3 point hitch. I didn't want the extra effort to un/install a MMM and thought ground clearance might be an issue for MMM when doing rough work with my FEL. It still takes some effort to change but it gets easier each time. Turning radius is greater but if you don't have to mow a lot of tight spaces it might be worth considering. *Also lets you back in under trees etc.
*The one thing I do like about a rear mount mower over a MMM .
That and you can back the RFM out over ditches and banks to help keep them trimmed off.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #28  
FullBucket said:
I pull a 60" mower on my 3 point hitch. I didn't want the extra effort to un/install a MMM and thought ground clearance might be an issue for MMM when doing rough work with my FEL. It still takes some effort to change but it gets easier each time. Turning radius is greater but if you don't have to mow a lot of tight spaces it might be worth considering. Also lets you back in under trees etc.
I don't want a mower to pull with the 3P
I wan't a mower to carry with my 3 point.

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor. #29  
Geez, I didn't think mower removal/replacement was such a big deal. I do it for every mowing cycle and find it a bit time consuming, but not hard. Kinda helps me connect with the 'Zen' of my equipment ;)

Are you guys using the FEL to raise the front wheels way up and rolling the MMM into/out of place under the wheels? Turn the FEL bucket edge down and use blocks under the edge to give yourself room if you need it. Take the FEL off after you've put the mower on if you're getting ready to mow, or put the FEL on for help removing the mower if going the other way. Only thing that's a bit fussy is hooking up the PTO.

Works like a charm on the B7610. My neighbor was complaining about changing the mower on his new BX24. Told him about using the FEL and he's had no problem since, so it must work with the BX.

Only thing that DOES consume time is that now I grease, inspect and clean the mower at each removal. It deserves as much and I view this as a positive. On a dedicated mower, I might do that once a year and it probably wouldn't last as long.

On the other hand, multiple tractors are a good deal anyway you work it. I'll never criticize that choice.
Bob

/ Finally got sick and tired of mowing with the tractor.
I would love to have a commercial mower, even a used one, but it would not be possible for me to get one for anywhere near this price. I have a lot of expensive projects coming up - pond dredging, new cottage, new home. I need something to mow with for the next 5-10 years that does not take me an hour to set up and break down. I think this will do the trick.

My dad has the Kubota GS series deisel mower which is a beast but he paid about $8-9K for it. I could buy 6 of these for that price so if it dies in 10 years...big deal. By then I'll want something else anyway, like a ZTR.