Finally My Pole Barn/Workshop Has Started

/ Finally My Pole Barn/Workshop Has Started #51  
David, are you going to place OSB on the ceiling portion as well? I don't know if you stated earlier, but what kind of venting do you have?

/ Finally My Pole Barn/Workshop Has Started #52  
Thanks for the reply's.

Started putting the osb on last week then had to stop to lay plastic for planting. Hopefully can get back on it this weekend. I decided to attache the osb with screws so if I ever need to remove a piece it would be easier.

I also used screws to attach my osb panels, I have had no issues after almost 6 years. The builder left behind enough insulation that I doubled it up behind the panels. I cut it to fit between the 2x4 girts which were installed flat. I like your storage on the side, I wish I had done that originally. My front apron was poured separate from the floor and not pinned so it does heave in the winter when the ground freezes. Well live and learn!

I installed joists in the ceiling and dry walled the ceiling and upper 4 feet of the walls, then added blown in insulation. With electric heaters it is very comfy when working in the winter and even though we regularly get in the 90's it is comfortable in the summer.

P6130098.JPG

/ Finally My Pole Barn/Workshop Has Started
OB, not sure if I will do the ceiling but if I do I will use a light weight luan type panel. No venting but may put a window in the top of the gable end once I get the loft built.

Joey, that looks great!!

/ Finally My Pole Barn/Workshop Has Started #54  
Nice looking barn.
:thumbsup:

/ Finally My Pole Barn/Workshop Has Started #55  
David, how's that barn doing? Any updated advice or recommendations? I'm about half way there on the $$$ to get one built without another loan:2cents:

It is a slow process right now. I did get the osb around the bottom part of the inside. Talked to electrical about installing the meter and power ran but have not had time to schedule. Only advise is build a lager as you can afford.

I hope by late fall to get started on the loft and would like to get it completed before wiring. I will be coming here for advise once I get close.I was hoping to rent a truck to go get all my wood working equipment at one time but can't seem to get it scheduled. I could use my trailer but unable to make the turn into parents long driveway due to power pole and fence.

Right now the problem is time, harvest has started for the Farmers Market and one evening it is irrigation and maintenance of the crops and the next evening it is harvest. Working 45-50 hours a week then trying to run 2.5 acres of produce is about to kill me this year.

Next year will be different, the field will only have a cover crop, taking a year off to get the shop up and running. So it will be October before I can get back to the shop.

Before harvest started I finished putting the osb up and had a couple of hours free time, looked over and saw some scrap wood and thru this coffee table together, it will be October before I can get back to it to finish:D

Good luck on your build. I have been following some of your threads just no time to post....

Attachments

• paint photo.JPG
    paint photo.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG-20150703-00390.jpg
    IMG-20150703-00390.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 153
Well one year after building this I have finally found the time to get the power to the building:eek:. It has been a busy year and I have been running the equipment off the generator when needed.

I have a lighting question. I am looking at this LED

EnviroLite 4 ft. 6-Light T8 LED High Bay Light with 2 Lumen DLC Flex Tubes-EVHBA6T2:mad:1 - The Home Depot

Everyone is telling me it is extremely bright and for a 24 x 36 shop 4 down thew center would be the most I would need. I have 12' side wall and a 4/12 pitch, so lights will hang 12'-14' off the floor.

I was planning on putting lights down the center where the workbenches are and having a couple of smaller lights hanging over a couple of machines if needed.

I don't know much about LED other than what I have time to read on TBN. My internet is problematic at this time.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

David

/ Finally My Pole Barn/Workshop Has Started #58  
Well one year after building this I have finally found the time to get the power to the building:eek:. It has been a busy year and I have been running the equipment off the generator when needed. I have a lighting question. I am looking at this LED EnviroLite 4 ft. 6-Light T8 LED High Bay Light with 2 Lumen DLC Flex Tubes-EVHBA6T241 - The Home Depot Everyone is telling me it is extremely bright and for a 24 x 36 shop 4 down thew center would be the most I would need. I have 12' side wall and a 4/12 pitch, so lights will hang 12'-14' off the floor. I was planning on putting lights down the center where the workbenches are and having a couple of smaller lights hanging over a couple of machines if needed. I don't know much about LED other than what I have time to read on TBN. My internet is problematic at this time. Any feedback would be appreciated! David
I don't know which exact lights to recommend, but I do know that for a workshop more is needed then a single row down the middle. That will just create shadows when using a tool off to the side. A row about a quarter in from each end will result in less shadowing.

/ Finally My Pole Barn/Workshop Has Started #59  
Go LED , 4x the light . I replaced the crummy tube lights in my garage and could not believe the difference . They fire up if it is cold and provide a nice white light .

/ Finally My Pole Barn/Workshop Has Started #60  
One thing to think about with a high ceiling is changing bulbs. One of my barns has a high ceiling with trusses every 8' apart. I have 8 bulbs that I can put in from one end. With 4 footers maybe I could put them in from each end. But I don't have a step ladder tall enough to get to the middle. I use an extension ladder against trusses.

Could support the lights with wire or rope and use a pulley to lower. Could get a taller step ladder.

My other barn is in snow country and has trusses every 2 feet and is not an issue.