Financing Finally ordered a 3038E

/ Finally ordered a 3038E #1  

Ray_Fort_White

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3038E
I've been mostly lurking on this site, reading the tractor comparisons every day, and posting only a few times. I've looked at Bob Cat, Kubota L2800, Mahindra 2816, and JD 3032 and 3038E. My oldest son was a tractor mechanic for 17 years before getting a layoff 2 years ago. He's mostly serviced and repaired JD and is factory trained. He helped me decide on the 3038E. He believes the resale and parts availability issues are deciding factors for buying Green.

I would have been OK with a 3005 but my wife wanted a hydro. She mows with our JD LA120 mower and is used to the hydrostatic. We have 5 acres in North Florida that is almost flat and covered with Bahia. It was a cow pasture for decades before it was subdivided. The grass grows so thick that the riding mower struggles unless the blades are sharpened every few mowings. I decided a tractor with a rear finish mower was the solution.

I test drove the 3032 and it felt very comfortable to me. I almost bought it but decided I'd like to have the extra few HP of the 3038E.

I ordered it with the 305 loader and a 5' Green RFM. It won't be in till mid May. The dealer said that the 0% was for 36 months, not 48 as it says on the JD web site. I assume that although the offer expires at the end of April, I will get the 0% since I placed a deposit in April. I could pay cash but the money is in an IRA and I pay income tax as I withdraw it. I'd rather spread that pain out a couple years. And, the money is earning interest while it's still in my IRA. Anyone know if the 0% offer stands based on my having placed a deposit?

/ Finally ordered a 3038E #2  
Nice going, should be a great tractor. Let us know how you like it.

I've been mostly lurking on this site, reading the tractor comparisons every day, and posting only a few times. I've looked at Bob Cat, Kubota L2800, Mahindra 2816, and JD 3032 and 3038E. My oldest son was a tractor mechanic for 17 years before getting a layoff 2 years ago. He's mostly serviced and repaired JD and is factory trained. He helped me decide on the 3038E. He believes the resale and parts availability issues are deciding factors for buying Green.

I would have been OK with a 3005 but my wife wanted a hydro. She mows with our JD LA120 mower and is used to the hydrostatic. We have 5 acres in North Florida that is almost flat and covered with Bahia. It was a cow pasture for decades before it was subdivided. The grass grows so thick that the riding mower struggles unless the blades are sharpened every few mowings. I decided a tractor with a rear finish mower was the solution.

I test drove the 3032 and it felt very comfortable to me. I almost bought it but decided I'd like to have the extra few HP of the 3038E.

I ordered it with the 305 loader and a 5' Green RFM. It won't be in till mid May. The dealer said that the 0% was for 36 months, not 48 as it says on the JD web site. I assume that although the offer expires at the end of April, I will get the 0% since I placed a deposit in April. I could pay cash but the money is in an IRA and I pay income tax as I withdraw it. I'd rather spread that pain out a couple years. And, the money is earning interest while it's still in my IRA. Anyone know if the 0% offer stands based on my having placed a deposit?

/ Finally ordered a 3038E #3  
The grass grows so thick that the riding mower struggles unless the blades are sharpened every few mowings. I decided a tractor with a rear finish mower was the solution.

Anyone know if the 0% offer stands based on my having placed a deposit?

Congrats on your new tractor! :thumbsup: You'll be able to "train" that Bahia grass to stand "short and straight" with ease!

Your deposit should be viewed as the date of purchase. As such, I believe that should lock you in for 0%.

Best of luck and lookin' forward to seeing your pictures.

AKfish

/ Finally ordered a 3038E #4  
I only have 38.4 hours on mine so far from the end of Dec. and it's been great. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as well.

/ Finally ordered a 3038E
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really looking forward to using it.

Funny thing at the JD dealer, someone had left their 3032E in 4WD. Salesman says back it out and drive it around. I backed up quite a ways till I heard my wife yelling STOP!!! I was sort of dragging the left front wheel sideways digging up the grass. It turned much better after switching to 2WD.

My wife later says "so why didn't the salesman say anything? I guess because the customer is always right.

/ Finally ordered a 3038E #6  
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really looking forward to using it.

Funny thing at the JD dealer, someone had left their 3032E in 4WD. Salesman says back it out and drive it around. I backed up quite a ways till I heard my wife yelling STOP!!! I was sort of dragging the left front wheel sideways digging up the grass. It turned much better after switching to 2WD.

My wife later says "so why didn't the salesman say anything? I guess because the customer is always right.

That doesn't sound right.?? That Deere should turn as smooth in 4x4 as in 2x4.

I was absolutely amazed with my 4x4 770 when I tried it out. Should turn the same...2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.

What say others.??

/ Finally ordered a 3038E #7  
That doesn't sound right.?? That Deere should turn as smooth in 4x4 as in 2x4.

I was absolutely amazed with my 4x4 770 when I tried it out. Should turn the same...2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.

What say others.??

The front wheels will grab and buck and grab and buck... 4x4 never turns as easy as 2 wheel drive!

Not in my truck - not in my tractor - not at all in 4-wheel drive! (Sorry, Dr. Suess..)

AKfish

/ Finally ordered a 3038E #8  
Enjoy, everyone that I have talked to with the 3032e loves it!!

KC

/ Finally ordered a 3038E #9  
The front wheels will grab and buck and grab and buck... 4x4 never turns as easy as 2 wheel drive!

Not in my truck - not in my tractor - not at all in 4-wheel drive! (Sorry, Dr. Suess..)

AKfish

I don't know...maybe my '92 Deere has technology that other tractors don't.??

I'm telling you flat out, I can barely tell the difference when I am in 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.

Fact.

/ Finally ordered a 3038E #10  
When not turning, 4WD will feel similar to 2WD. But any 4WD, unless there is a differential between front and rear axles (as in full-time 4WD) will require some slip of front tires so it does not bind when turning. Off road grass or dirt is usually sufficient. This is because the front tires travel a longer distance than the rear tires. Same reason a differential is required in the rear axle. The outside tire travels farther than the inside tire. Turning on dry pavement will cause the tractor to buck and can cause damage. Having owned both trucks and tractors with part-time 4WD I am always cautious because I really need that 4WD to work. I have seen others damage trucks by doing the wrong things.