Finally, pictures of the new Grand L5740

/ Finally, pictures of the new Grand L5740 #1  

allen in texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 5740, loaded R1's w/640 lbs cast weight, 854 loader
I'm loving it.
Thursday, I spread 40 yards crushed asphalt and concrete on a parking lot.
Friday, I loaded and hauled 80 yards of caliche and filled holes in a truck yard.
Today, I cleaned out about 10 inches of blow sand from between a couple of buildings and drug that guys parking lot and filled holes.
I am so glad I went with a bigger tractor.

I can't wait to see how it pulls my little Ford plow but I have the shares at the welding shop right now getting them hardfaced. should have then back in a couple of weeks. :)

Attachments

• l5740 001.jpg
    l5740 001.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 358
  • l5740 002.jpg
    l5740 002.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 332
  • l5740 003.jpg
    l5740 003.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 410
  • l5740 004.jpg
    l5740 004.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
   / Finally, pictures of the new Grand L5740
I guess I should note the differences...
Obviously the greatest difference is the power. I can shove into a pile and get a full bucket easier.
One difference that at this point, I'm not liking too much is the the R1 tires.
The R4s on the 3240 were a much stiffer tire and I didn't notice the front squatting with the bucket full like I do with the R1's on the 5740. I guess once I get used to it, it will be ok. It has to be, I' aint gonna change them. I thought about running the pressure up a bit and see if that helps the feel, and really, that's all it is, a feel.
I love the way the engine sounds and how it grunts when I load it. I like the turbo whistle too.
I nearly hurt myself getting on the tractor, the step is a bit higher and my leg only lifted to where the 3240 step used to be so I scraped my shin. ;)

The loader is a bit slower but that is noted in the specs.

All in all, I'm very happy.

/ Finally, pictures of the new Grand L5740 #3  
Ya ,if you are going to be doing a lot of loader work..pump up the fronts,the 854 Loader is a beast...I can pick the back of my L4240 with loaded rears.

/ Finally, pictures of the new Grand L5740 #4  
I've noticed my front R1s squatting a bit with a good load in the bucket. I have thought about getting an R4 of equal size for the front. I think the loss of traction with the switch of tires will not be too much. If all that's needed is to buy two front tires and use the wheels the cost shouldn't be a big deal.

/ Finally, pictures of the new Grand L5740 #5  
IOne difference that at this point, I'm not liking too much is the the R1 tires.
The R4s on the 3240 were a much stiffer tire and I didn't notice the front squatting with the bucket full like I do with the R1's on the 5740. I guess once I get used to it, it will be ok. It has to be, I' aint gonna change them. I thought about running the pressure up a bit and see if that helps the feel, and really, that's all it is, a feel.

R1s usually do not have the load rating that the R4s have. It is not just a feeling, the tires are much easier to over load. If you want to get them to not bulge as much for your loader work, either over inflate them, :eek: or fill them with liquid and inflate to max psi, or foam fill.

/ Finally, pictures of the new Grand L5740 #6  
If I run my R1s at the recommended pressure they bulge and squish significantly when I've got a heavy load in the bucket. Try boosting the pressure and see if you like how it feels.

I've noticed my front R1s squatting a bit with a good load in the bucket. I have thought about getting an R4 of equal size for the front. I think the loss of traction with the switch of tires will not be too much. If all that's needed is to buy two front tires and use the wheels the cost shouldn't be a big deal.

I don't think the wheels will work with the R4s but I could be wrong.

There is a guy here running r4 fronts and r1 rears. His problem is that he was rolling the R1s off the rim when he turn with a heavy load in the bucket.

I'm going to stick with what I have and try the pressure thing.

/ Finally, pictures of the new Grand L5740 #8  
I don't think the wheels will work with the R4s but I could be wrong.

There is a guy here running r4 fronts and r1 rears. His problem is that he was rolling the R1s off the rim when he turn with a heavy load in the bucket.

I'm going to stick with what I have and try the pressure thing.

I remember someone posting about a R1 tire that's more of an R4 tread and handled more weight. It could have been a few years ago though. I think just putting R4s on the front will cause a problem unless they are the same outer diameter as the current tires. Someday I'll look further into it.

/ Finally, pictures of the new Grand L5740 #9  
I know my father has been through two pairs of R1's (fronts) and each time the sidewall blew out with lots of tread left on them - In fact the tires looked almost new from a tread standpoint. I got R4's on mine and he swears I won't be able to plow this winter but I am going to take my chances.

Congrats!!!

I know my father has been through two pairs of R1's (fronts) and each time the sidewall blew out with lots of tread left on them - In fact the tires looked almost new from a tread standpoint. I got R4's on mine and he swears I won't be able to plow this winter but I am going to take my chances.

Congrats!!!

Can't plow with R4's huh?

Check out my avatar. 10 acres with R4's and I never spun unless I buried the plow.