Finally the barn.

/ Finally the barn.
Quick update and a question or two.
I'm new to this whole permit process and was hoping I could pays my money and be on my way.
The real issue I'm having creating a site plan. They said I could use the info from the gIS system even though the property lines are off by at lease 50'.
I created a plan using the gIS system and they are not sure this is good enough, but when asked how or who to see about creating an accurate site plan I get a deer in the head lights look. "Hmm we dont know?". I hate to have to have my property surveyed and staked before they will let me build a pole barn. It's been on my list of things to do for the last 15 years, but just couldn't justify the cost. I'm guessing that if I have someone survey the property and structures they could produce an accurate site plan?
Ok rant off.

I'm hoping to have the barn done sometime in August, but that will depend on the local building folks I guess.

Wedge

/ Finally the barn. #12  
We built our barn last year. To get a site plan my wife ran down to the surveyor who surveyed our property when she bought it. It was a slow day (week, month, year) so he did the site plans for free. In essence all it needs to show is the proposed building location and distances to existing buildings and property lines.

/ Finally the barn. #13  
How about getting a copy of your parcel map as filed with the county recorder's office. The tax man uses it! So long as you are not trying to get too close to your property line and have the minimum set back or greater, that should make them happy. Put some dimension like greater than xxx feet to P/L should work. I know with my county I can go on line with the planning department and pull up a google air shot and overlay property lines, flood plain areas, plus others. You paid for it with your taxes so use it!:thumbsup:

/ Finally the barn.
How about getting a copy of your parcel map as filed with the county recorder's office. The tax man uses it! So long as you are not trying to get too close to your property line and have the minimum set back or greater, that should make them happy. Put some dimension like greater than xxx feet to P/L should work. I know with my county I can go on line with the planning department and pull up a google air shot and overlay property lines, flood plain areas, plus others. You paid for it with your taxes so use it!:thumbsup:
I was at the recorders office today to get a copy of my deed and ask about such a thing. If I lived in the city or sub-division that was available, but since I'm out in the country it's not. What you describe in using google is what the gIS system is. (GIS.com |). Our county is somewhat progressive and at the same time backwards. They have almost everything public online, including tax records and such. But the P/Ls that are over-layed onto the map is off by about 50' to the south. Technically I can understand how this happens, but also know that this could be fixed if they chose to do so. Our county has been using the gIS for about 8 or 9 years and this variance has always been there.
I've submitted the paper work and am waiting to see if they will give me a permit or not. If not!!!! I will call a surveyer and have the land surveyed, staked and marked.

Wedge

/ Finally the barn. #15  
I'm hoping to have the barn done sometime in August, but that will depend on the local building folks I guess.
Wedge

Not sure what state you're in, but most states have agriculture laws of some kind that exempt you from needing a permit. In Illinois if you have:
  • more than 5 acres and
  • have the ag exemption for your taxes and
  • you're outside a municipality and
  • the county has less than a million people,
then you're exempt from everything except the 30' setback requirements. The building department will not know about this, or will not offer to tell you about it, you'll have to look it up in state statutes. My neighbor had to get a lawyer to go down and scare the pants off them, then they left him alone.

/ Finally the barn.
Can't believe it'll be two months since I put the down payment on the barn.
It took two weeks for the people to get the building permit done.
Right now it looks like next Tuesday they are suppose to show up. Kind of worried about them getting a tractor-trailer up into the driveway.. Normally there is a hair-pin curve you have to navigate to get into the driveway, I've given directions to come in the backway on some pretty narrow roads, but this way they have a straight shot into the driveway. I've suggested many time for them to send someone out to look and see what they are getting into, but I warned them.. If all else fails they'll have to park the truck and unload it at the road and bring stuff up piece meal.

Yes there will be photos.

Wedge

/ Finally the barn.
They're here!!! Took the guy about 10 minutes to back up the driveway. I have a long narrow curvy, up hill, through the woods, driveway.. Guess he earned his money.. They are unloading the truck now.. Feel like a kid at Christmas.
I'll have post photos this evening of the progress today. Lots of photo so far, and they haven't really dont much. LOL

Wedge

/ Finally the barn. #18  
Good Mornin Wedge,
Yep, its quite a great feeling when that building starts to take shape ! ;)

We are all looking foward to updates and of course the pics ! :)

Sure is nice to put your stuff indoors ! Good Luck !

/ Finally the barn. #19  
Bring on the pics of process.

/ Finally the barn.
Sometime this eveniing.. I would like to start with a picture of my garage.

Wedge