Finally used the plow

/ Finally used the plow #11  
As for ye Newfoundlanders, I need to visit your province someday. My grandfather was born on Great Colinet Island and my grandmother was from Salmonier.

I've visited every province and territory in Canada fairly extensively and I can tell you there's no place like Newfoundland and the people who live there. From coast to coast, north to south, greatest place I've ever been. A warning though, I barely made it out of there and with your newfie roots, you don't stand a chance.

/ Finally used the plow #12  
I've visited every province and territory in Canada fairly extensively and I can tell you there's no place like Newfoundland and the people who live there. From coast to coast, north to south, greatest place I've ever been. A warning though, I barely made it out of there and with your newfie roots, you don't stand a chance.

Sorry to the OP for highjacking your thread but I got to thank Ken for his nice comments about Newfoundland and I'll share a little story with you as well :)

I remember about ten years ago we had a guy and he wife show up from Sarnia, Ontario. He's also a french Canadian that moved to Ontario from New Brunswick. He was having issues with his antique car and the trailer he was towing. He was into the Gasoline Memorabilia like I am so I told him to come on in and I'd have a look at the issues he was having. Well it took two days with his help to get everything straightened out but he was sure happy to have it all working properly again.
After that I shut the shop down for the remainder of the week and showed them around.
He returns every two years to Newfoundland and stays with us. He's like a brother to me.
We've visited them in Sarnia as well. It's strange how friendships are formed.

PS. Yes that's a 45 record player in the car :cool:

Attachments

• DSC05814.jpg
    DSC05814.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC05816.jpg
    DSC05816.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC05811.jpg
    DSC05811.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC05815.jpg
    DSC05815.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 116
   / Finally used the plow #13  
Sorry to the OP for highjacking your thread but I got to thank Ken for his nice comments about Newfoundland and I'll share a little story with you as well :)

I remember about ten years ago we had a guy and he wife show up from Sarnia, Ontario. He's also a french Canadian that moved to Ontario from New Brunswick. He was having issues with his antique car and the trailer he was towing. He was into the Gasoline Memorabilia like I am so I told him to come on in and I'd have a look at the issues he was having. Well it took two days with his help to get everything straightened out but he was sure happy to have it all working properly again.
After that I shut the shop down for the remainder of the week and showed them around.
He returns every two years to Newfoundland and stays with us. He's like a brother to me.
We've visited them in Sarnia as well. It's strange how friendships are formed.

PS. Yes that's a 45 record player in the car :cool:

You're welcome, but it's the truth, especially about the people. I also apologize to the OP for the hijack, but since Paul gets to tell a story, so do I.

We arrived at the ferry terminal at night in our RV to catch the 17hr ferry ride from New Brunswick to Newfoundland first thing in the morning. Waking up in line the next morning, traffic was starting to load. I tried starting the RV and it just cranked and cranked and cranked. Eventually we got to the end of the engine battery so I told my wife she'd better run in and tell them we were stuck and holding up the line. I pressed the battery cross button (uses the RV's "living area" battery to give extra juice to the engine battery) and after a few more tries, I got it to fire, but it didn't want to keep running. Keeping the RPMs up, I managed to get it onto the ferry and figured if they had to push us off, at least we'd be in Newfoundland. As it turned out, it started first try at the other end.

So we get into St John's and get it to the GM dealer. A co-worker of ours gave us the name of a friend of hers, and he happened to work at that dealership. We'd never met him, but for the two days the RV was in the shop, he gave us his car to drive around and explore the area. He took us out at night and we ended up with other locals at beach parties and fantastic pubs, all things we'd have never found (or been invited to) on our own.

Over the next couple weeks we traveled around the province and met others as well. We camped beside another group of Newfoundlanders who had us over to their party before I think I shut the engine off. While we were (safely) stopped along a road looking at an iceberg, a local came over and knocked on the door to say hi. He invited us to plug into the fire hall for power, stay the night and come over for dinner. We weren't staying long so we declined, but not before having him in for a drink and chat. I could go on about stories about the people, it's just the greatest place I've ever been, and I suspect I will ever be.

Oh ya, the province is incredible on it's own for all the anti social people out there. We hiked over 100 km in some of the most spectacular scenery, saw whales from the shore and stopped at tons of interesting little places.

Oh ya, I was 8 years younger, 20lbs lighter and had no kids!

/ Finally used the plow #14  
Man, reading all these stories makes me want to visit! About 30 some years ago, I lived for several months on Vancouver Island, and I always remember how much I liked it... people were nice, and something about the way they chose to live their lives seemed more appealing than the rat race down here in the states. Just as an example, I had an old Volvo station wagon, and the clutch went out. Just before I had bought it, about a year before, the previous owners had had the clutch replaced. Turns out they had put in a POS aftermarket clutch, and the springs broke. A small shop, that didn't know me from Adam, replaced everything with Volvo parts, and charged me about half what I thought the job was worth. Nice guys, thru and thru.

/ Finally used the plow #15  
Man, reading all these stories makes me want to visit! About 30 some years ago, I lived for several months on Vancouver Island, and I always remember how much I liked it... people were nice, and something about the way they chose to live their lives seemed more appealing than the rat race down here in the states. Just as an example, I had an old Volvo station wagon, and the clutch went out. Just before I had bought it, about a year before, the previous owners had had the clutch replaced. Turns out they had put in a POS aftermarket clutch, and the springs broke. A small shop, that didn't know me from Adam, replaced everything with Volvo parts, and charged me about half what I thought the job was worth. Nice guys, thru and thru.

Some great stories here. Nice reading. If you ever decide to visit Newfoundland shoot me an email and I'll personally show you around. It would be an honor to do so my friend. :thumbsup:

/ Finally used the plow
Na, nothing was hijacked. I enjoyed the stories. I have traveled the Canadian coast east and west and your stories are the same as mine. Wonderful people. It it wasn't for 4shorts I would still be trying to figure out how to convert a truck plow to QA.

/ Finally used the plow #17  
The only guy I know up the river with a Kioti is a fellow by the name of Reg S :

One and the same. He saw mine and bought one for himself; I then sold my CK20 and bought a CK20S once I saw how nice the Kioti Backhoe was.

Apparently, you can weld the arse in a cat, so you must know what you are doing.

The invite to show out of province visitors around goes for me too...at the very least, drop in for a beer or coffee, etc.

Jon

/ Finally used the plow #18  
Na, nothing was hijacked. I enjoyed the stories. I have traveled the Canadian coast east and west and your stories are the same as mine. Wonderful people. It it wasn't for 4shorts I would still be trying to figure out how to convert a truck plow to QA.

Well that's great and I'm happy to hear your pleased with the design. When I did mine back in 08 I put a lot of thought into it. My goal was to have that plow as close to the FEL as possible which I accomplished and have been using commercially ever since. It was a year or two later that Kubota tee emailed me with a few questions and he did his plow like mine. We became pretty good friends after that. He's a good guy :thumbsup:

One and the same. He saw mine and bought one for himself; I then sold my CK20 and bought a CK20S once I saw how nice the Kioti Backhoe was.

Apparently, you can weld the arse in a cat, so you must know what you are doing.

The invite to show out of province visitors around goes for me too...at the very least, drop in for a beer or coffee, etc.

Jon

Cool :cool: Thought it had to be Reg. I've done a few jobs for him on the Kioti. Helped him with hydraulic rotator on his blower chute and rebuilt his FEL's bucket and installed a cutting edge. It was because of Reg coming into our shop with his Mustang we ended up with one :laughing:

We're supposed to be an automotive repair facility but over the years its evolved into other things such as design, machining, painting, fabrication and yes welding. Just this week I was doing a lot of tig welding stainless for a rather large shrimp boat. The work was a sublet from a machine shop. The machinist is a good friend of mine but if welding is involved I get his work. Kind of funny how I got into the welding aspect of it but it happened.

If you look at my signature there's two links attached and if you click on them you'll see more of what I do. Here's a couple of threads I started on here and it will also show how I do things.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/181998-just-couple-guards.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/134005-lights-camera-action.html

The attached photo is of a weld that I did. I used a pulse spray mig and a welding positioner but the rest was done by hand. My older brother who is a welder says its the prettiest weld he's ever seen but I just think he's trying to be nice (for a change) :laughing:

Since 08 I've been into customizing tractors but that's a story for another time :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 110
   / Finally used the plow #19  
Alright, I'm in on the 2013 TBN member summer tour of Newfoundland! And yes Paul, that is by far the nicest weld I've ever seen.

/ Finally used the plow #20  
Alright, I'm in on the 2013 TBN member summer tour of Newfoundland! And yes Paul, that is by far the nicest weld I've ever seen.

Cool. If you get over to the Eastern side of the rock you got to drop by. I'm just 45 minutes from St.John's. There's lots to see here as well.
Glad you liked the weld. I got word late last evening that I have a lot more stainless work on the large shrimp trawler so that's good news. Most of the time Iceland gets that type of work :cool: