FINALLY, We can repair our old lead acid batteries.

/ FINALLY, We can repair our old lead acid batteries. #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
   / FINALLY, We can repair our old lead acid batteries.
No serious. Guy cuts open his batteries and rebuilds them. It makes me realize how different people have different values.

But quite interesting as I have never seen this done.

/ FINALLY, We can repair our old lead acid batteries. #4  
In the early days, Batteries were built as glass jar cells. Several of them linked together became "a battery". go figure.

Does anyone here make soap? It's the same thing.

You can do this!

/ FINALLY, We can repair our old lead acid batteries. #5  
No serious. Guy cuts open his batteries and rebuilds them. It makes me realize how different people have different values.

But quite interesting as I have never seen this done.
I've only heard of this once. Way back in abandoned logging roads I met another jeeper and we talked for a while. I asked what happened, that his clothes had holes all over. He said he made his living rebuilding batteries - taking them apart, scraping deposits off the plates, combining internals from other batteries, to make good ones. I've never heard of that specialty occupation before or since but he seemed to be making a living at it.

/ FINALLY, We can repair our old lead acid batteries. #6  
I've only heard of this once. Way back in abandoned logging roads I met another jeeper and we talked for a while. I asked what happened, that his clothes had holes all over. He said he made his living rebuilding batteries - taking them apart, scraping deposits off the plates, combining internals from other batteries, to make good ones. I've never heard of that specialty occupation before or since but he seemed to be making a living at it.
I wonder how the chap is doing now? Those holes in his clothes could have progressed deeper. :D :eek:

/ FINALLY, We can repair our old lead acid batteries. #7  
My limited experience with lead-acid batteries tells me one thing. Battery acid can be a bad thing. I've burned holes in clothing - burned skin - had to do extensive clean ups. A sealed battery is a true God sent invention.

/ FINALLY, We can repair our old lead acid batteries. #8  
Probably one of the greatest tractor men of history did this for a living...

R.G. LeTourneau, credited with inventing the modern bulldozer, had a job rebuilding batteries for a trolley line. This caused him to learn how to use a welder to fuse lead plates together, which caused him to weld his first construction equipment together. By World War Two, 40% of the heavy equipment used in the war was of his machine. 90% of his money went to charity, and to this day, his technical schools live on.

All because he took a job scraping plates for a Trolley Company in the early 1900's and learned how to weld lead.

You can read about it in his book, Mover of Men and Mountains

/ FINALLY, We can repair our old lead acid batteries. #9  
How about a brief review to tell us what it says. Worthwhile, not worthwhile, a joke, what???

Would be WAY too time consuming!
Probably 6+ hours to rebuild a $130 battery, plus cost of materials needed?
Maybe in primitive North Korea, or Cuba? Not in the USA.
Have spent a few days in rural Cuba, less than 10 minutes in N. Korea.

/ FINALLY, We can repair our old lead acid batteries.
Maybe the man sees no humour in it, but I think it would have been funny if he wore clothing full of holes for the video.

I find, despite some of the rags I wear around here, I always ruin my best clothes.

Imagine going through all that work and then the battery doesn't perform as expected. I cringe when I saw him pour the acid out of a battery into a glass baking pan. Then, magically cut to new frame of acid safely in a glass bottle.