Financing Financing a used Tractor-What's best?

/ Financing a used Tractor-What's best? #1  

dirtymartini

Silver Member
Tractor
LS R4047 FEL & Backhoe
What's the best options out there for financing a used Tractor? I would use my Home Equity LOC but need to keep that option for something else. Locaol bank or Credit Union or are there some online options that specialize in Tractors?

/ Financing a used Tractor-What's best? #2  
When I was looking at used tractors to buy; I checked many many finance options. Unless you are a bona fide farmer filing Schedule F for income tax and have an established business line of credit for the farm, all that was available was a personal loan at 19% through a credit union, if I moved my banking there. That prompted me to buy a new one at the manufacturer's financing plan.

Ron

/ Financing a used Tractor-What's best? #3  
I'm not aware of any online tractor financing options; your point about local bank or C.U. is probably the best option. Comparison shop a little; my C.U. will do an equipment loan at 7.99 for good credit types. A manufacturer's plan can be a possibility also.
(A personal loan at 19% makes me suspect that the above poster may have less than perfect credit ?)

/ Financing a used Tractor-What's best? #4  
We picked up a used Mahindra a couple of years ago and I went through a local bank and got a 4.75% rate. I am a small-time farmer, and the tractor is used on our farm. We checked some other local options, and they ranged from the aforementioned 4.75% up to about 11.00%, so it pays to shop around.

We have used unsecured personal loans in the past to purchase equipment, and the rates were usually about 5% or so.

One of the more interesting ways that we financed was through our local bank. When I bought my dozer, we had cash to buy it, but didn't really want to end up "cash poor". Our local bank offered the option of using the money in our account as the collateral for the loan instead of the dozer (so they had zero liability). We did a loan at about 3% interest, and the bank only took 1% and the other 2% went into our account as we paid the loan off. (This sounds more confusing than it really is). What it was, more or less, was a structured way to make sure that I would "pay myself back" for using my own money, and the bank, more or less, got a percent to facilitate it.

Good luck and take care.

/ Financing a used Tractor-What's best?
Thanks for the advice so far. I did find Object moved that offered a 5.13 rate for a 2011 tractor. I'll see what happens. I could always go new although I would have to buy a smaller tractor.

/ Financing a used Tractor-What's best? #6  
If you have Farm Credit in your area they usually have good rates.

/ Financing a used Tractor-What's best? #9  
   / Financing a used Tractor-What's best?