Finding my septic tank

/ Finding my septic tank #1  

Nevada Ragnar

Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I recently purchased a property with a buried septic tank. I was able to determine the rough location of the tank, but it wasn't clear how deep it was located. I tried hand digging down to the tank, but quickly found that frustrating as I was running into a lot of rock and hard pan. Therefore, I very gingerly dug down with my back hoe (with some hand digging) until I determined the tank level. It was a big time saver to use the BX-25D back hoe to gently uncover the majority of the dirt and debris, leaving the final distance to hand digging.

Tonight I feel great because I had my tractor do most of the work :)
Septic.jpgMyBaby.jpg

/ Finding my septic tank #3  
Just curious. Why did you have to dig up your septic tank?

/ Finding my septic tank #4  
Most people dig down to the tank to allow the lids to be removed for fluid extraction.

/ Finding my septic tank #5  
You can have a riser installed on the top of the tank which will bring the lid to just above finished grade. Makes it a lot easier to pump the tank in the future. Mine was made of a heavy ABS like plastic with a plastic lid on it.

/ Finding my septic tank #6  
Most people dig down to the tank to allow the lids to be removed for fluid extraction.

You probably know this and even meant to say it, but it's the solids and sludge that are the focus.

/ Finding my septic tank #7  
I was going to suggest ordering 10 yards of concrete and let the redi-mix truck find the tank. This method has worked for many many people.....

/ Finding my septic tank #8  
I was going to suggest ordering 10 yards of concrete and let the redi-mix truck find the tank. This method has worked for many many people.....

Lol! The lumber delivery truck found mine. Even though i had already showed him where it was and had it marked with flags at each corner.

/ Finding my septic tank #10  
Law requires that a septic be pumped when property changes hands.
When they came to pump mine, he ask where the tank was. I had no idea.
He went into the house & flushed a radio transmitter down the toilet. Walked around outside with a receiver & soon had it located.
Sure beats digging & hoping.