Finding used parts for JD 4300

/ Finding used parts for JD 4300 #1  

kimodc

Bronze Member
Hello,
I recently purchased a torn apart jd 4300 with hopes of being able to find used parts to reassemble. However, it seems like there are not a lot of used parts for out there for this model tractor and I need some pretty major parts like the hydrostatic unit and the tunnel housing that connects the bell housing to the transmission, front driveshaft, pto driveshaft. The tunnel housing had cracked, was taken off to be repaired, but left for years during which time many of the parts were misplaced, so the story goes. I have contacted a couple salvage yards and they say they never see them. I know a couple of people here have rebuild similar tractors and was wondering if any one have any suggestions as to where to look for parts such as these?

/ Finding used parts for JD 4300 #2  
I had a search on for a used 4300 for a friend of mine, and found out there are not many available on the market. They get snatched up pretty quick.
You may get lucky and find one with a blown engine (but that Yanmar is a tough one I've learned).
Or you may get the best return from advertising yours as a parts tractor (minus a few).
What shape is the rest of the tractor? Pics?

/ Finding used parts for JD 4300
Thats what I am thinking I might have to do. I get excited about taking things that are broken or apart and making them work again. I like the challenge and I find it interesting, however in this case with the lack of used parts out there, it might not be feasible. The tractor has 1080 hrs on it, with a good engine, good front transaxle with no leaks or excess play, and a good transmission (except for the left axle housing which has a broken tab for the 3pt arm). It has no plastic other then the rear fenders. It has good turf tires all the way around, folding roll bar, and a 72" mower deck. Like I said before, I get very excited to bring things back to life, and I am still hoping this is the case.

/ Finding used parts for JD 4300 #4  
There is a fellow TBNer, dfkrug, who has rebuilt a few 4300's and 4310's. These machines were pretty trashed when he started and really nice when he finished.
So, do a search for dfkrug and read his threads.

Deere sold a lot of 4300's and 4310's...very popular tractors. I'd guess the great majority are still serving their owners well. As Beenthere wrote, when they come up for sale, they go fast.

/ Finding used parts for JD 4300
Roy, I spent half the night last night reading his 56 page rebuild. By the time I got to page 18, I felt like I was right there with him. A great thread for sure! I just need to find some parts so I can have my own fun now too!

/ Finding used parts for JD 4300 #6  
Just found this thread.

In the process of rebuilding my last 4300, I saw two of them broken
in half on eBay. I missed out on a good hood, unfortunately, but the
sellers tried for a Long Time to get rid of drive line parts, like the HST, etc.

The fragile plastics are killer-expensive and I expect to have to buy
more of them new from JD. :-(