fingerless gloves

/ fingerless gloves #11  
I've used them when I knew I was going to be doing a lot of repetitive things (high likelihood of blisters) for which I'd typically use leather work gloves but I needed the ability to pick things, like screws, out of a box or a work belt pouch. The gloves I use are not winter gloves but do keep your hands warm.

/ fingerless gloves #12  
Bird said:
I'm with you. Apparently certain people doing certain things in certain climates have a use for them, but I never had a use, nor can I imagine ever having a use, for fingerless gloves.

I use them when I go ice fishing. I grip the fishing rod with my left hand and that makes a fist so all the finger tips stay warm. I keep my left index finger on the line to feel the bites. You just cannot handle 2 lb test fishing line with glove on. When it is really cold, I have some oversize mittens that are elbow length. I keep my fingerless gloves on and slip the mittens over them. When I need to do some quick work at 15 below, I whip off the mittens and take care of business, then slip them back into the mittens.

Fingerless gloves are also great for yard work, raking, sweeping, working on the car, etc...

Another thing I do is take an old pair of tube socks and cut a tumb hole and finger holes in the toe area. Then I slip them on and roll them up my arms past the elbows, but over my long underwear sleeves. Then I toss on a thermal shirt. The socks up to the elbows really keeps out any drafts that could slip in around the wrist area. ;)

/ fingerless gloves #13  
My 2 Cents. When I lived in WA. state and had the pleasure to do alot of steelhead fishing, I found the wool fingerless gloves great in the rain and cold.
'Kept your hands warm, even when wet.

/ fingerless gloves #15  
I use them when I go ice fishing.

Well, that explains that. I've gone fishing when it was cold, rainy, windy, etc., but not when the water turned to ice and have no expectation of ever doing so.:D

/ fingerless gloves #16  
Bird said:
Well, that explains that. I've gone fishing when it was cold, rainy, windy, etc., but not when the water turned to ice and have no expectation of ever doing so.:D

It is a fun feeling to walk on water. Sometimes I just go out and walk on the ice and look at stuff. It is a great way to see things from the lakeside view if you do not have access to a boat. :)

/ fingerless gloves #17  
MossRoad said:
It is a fun feeling to walk on water. Sometimes I just go out and walk on the ice and look at stuff. It is a great way to see things from the lakeside view if you do not have access to a boat. :)

Yeah, but I don't like the possibility of getting to look at things from the bottom side of that ice.:eek:

/ fingerless gloves #18  
Bird said:
Yeah, but I don't like the possibility of getting to look at things from the bottom side of that ice.:eek:

I almost did that once. Went in to about mid chest as a kid. Not fun. :eek:

/ fingerless gloves #19  
randy41 said:
looks like winter is settling in and my shop where i do woodworking is not heated. any recommendations for fingerless gloves that won't cost an arm and a leg (& a finger)?

I've got a set of 'mitten-gloves'.. they are gloves, that have a slip on mitten ( covering the 4 fingers ), that you can pull back and let hang, thus exposing the gloved fingers.. What I did was to cut the fingertips out of the fingers so i can have the fine manipulation when i need it, and then slip the mitten back over them when they get cold. Had em for years.. not sure where i got them.. looks like some knit material.. may even be mil-surp as i used to do lots of shpping at the local ( now closed ) army-navy-surp store.

Soundguy