Finish cutter blades for Bush Hog 5’ Squeeler?

/ Finish cutter blades for Bush Hog 5’ Squeeler? #1  

Danica

Silver Member
Tractor
CNH TC40DA & Ford 1920
My fields over the years have gone from really nasty with little trees and big thick weeds to a nice grassy meadow. The brush hog I’ve been using for the past 13 years doesn’t cut grass really nicely. Does anyone make a finish cutter blad for a brush hog? I do have a 6’ 903B NH finish cutter but it is in the pile of broken (spindle disintegrated, wheels crooked, belt broke) implements behind barn and maybe should bite the bullet and have it repaired. Still it would be a lot cheaper to just find blades with a sharp edge and appropriate lift to act as a finish mower now that I’m not running over thick branches and have removed all the rocks responsible for many broken sheer pins!

Thank you in advance everyone.

/ Finish cutter blades for Bush Hog 5’ Squeeler? #3  
So I have a finish mower (very nice cut) and an old Landpride brush hog that I got for $250. After turning most of the large rocks into gravel with it... I bought new blades for it. I sharpen the new blades since even new, the blades have a blunt edge on it. It cut just about as good as the finishing mower.

I sharpen those blades every once and a while. But to answer your question, they do not make "finishing mower blades" for a brush hog...

Finishing mower blades are sharpen on two sides and pretty thin in comparison to brush hog blades, which only have one "sharp" cutting edge per blade.

/ Finish cutter blades for Bush Hog 5’ Squeeler? #4  
I find sharpening them with an angle grinder and going a bit slower can leave a pretty smooth cut on short grass. Its what I use for our grass trails and areas away from the house.

/ Finish cutter blades for Bush Hog 5’ Squeeler?
Thanks all. Time to pull blades and go to grinder.

/ Finish cutter blades for Bush Hog 5’ Squeeler? #6  
I used a 6 foot "cheater" bar with a 1" socket bar ("breaker bar") and took everything I had to break the bolts loose... good luck. They are normally very tight.

That was when I replaced them.

For a long time, I just used to grind them, still attached to the mower (make sure you brace it up a couple of ways so it doesn't fall on you).