Finish mower blade sharpening?

/ Finish mower blade sharpening? #1  

agcomike

Silver Member
Tractor
Hinomoto e2004 aka 5020
does anyone know of simpliest/best way to sharpen a finish mower blade I've read a bunch of ways everyone of them is diffrent...
thanks

/ Finish mower blade sharpening? #2  
Simplest? Buy a new blade /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Easiest? I haven't found one /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What I do is:
Remove the blade(s)
Clamp it in a vise
Use a hand grinder or file to sharpen each side (only the top side of the cutting edge, except for raised ridges caused by hitting rocks or ?)
Check the balance by running a round rod through the center hole
Take small amounts off the heavy end until the blade is balanced as best you can. It doesn't have to be perfect, but the more out of balance it is, the sooner it will cause problems with bearings and anything else affected by the vibration.

Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Finish mower blade sharpening? #3  
It's a two step process.
1. Buy new blades.
2. Remove old blades.
3. Install new blades.
4. Take old blades to a lawn mower repair place and have them shapen and balance the blades (the have the correct tools).

The next time you replace the blades use the ones you had sharpened and repeat the process.

/ Finish mower blade sharpening? #4  
I agree with the bowman.....
Buy a new set and keep the old ones for rotating back on the mower the next time you need sharp blades.

/ Finish mower blade sharpening? #5  
Oooops..... theboman.
Spelling wasn't my strong suit.

/ Finish mower blade sharpening? #6  
the best way I have found with a rear finish mower is install an eye on the rear of the mower. Pull under winch. Disconnect top link & PTO. Leave lower links connected. Hook winch in eye & pick rear of mower up till it is vertical & blades are waist high. Remove blades standing straight up with impact. Put blades in vise & sharpen with angle grinder. Balance & straighten as needed. Reinstall.

Nice to have extra blades. I purchased 3 extra blades sets & 1 belt set at the time of buying mower. 106.00 for all in the deal for my 7' First Choice mower.

/ Finish mower blade sharpening? #7  
Mike,
I do what Casimir and ns do... a vice and an angle grinder.

The first couple times I sharpened I was concerned about balancing blades. But, the amount removed by light grinding passes is so small compared to the mass of the blade that I don't bother checking balance anymore. I just grind +/- equal light passes on each cutting edge. My deck runs smooth as can be.

If you ever look at a set of razor sharp blades after a mowing or two, you wouldn't bother trying to get the edges back to razor sharp. I don't try to grind out major dings...I just get the majority of the blade to serviceable sharpness and go with it.

OkieG

/ Finish mower blade sharpening? #8  
When I worked in a mower shop during high school we sharpened the blades on a grinding wheel. We hand held the blade and put a continuous bevel grind on the cutting (top) surface so the customer could touch up the blade with a file if they wanted to. Charged a buck for the job!

We sharpened our rental mower blades everytime the mower came back from the field, and always checked and adjusted the balance of the blade.

A slightly out of balance blade will put lots of stress and vibration into the bearings and deck, although you may not be able to feel it.

On my MMM I usually only sharpen the blades when I have the mower deck off to put the tiller on (don't ask). I can really see the difference in the cut after sharpening. I also straighten the blades at the same time. I won't get off the mower for a branch smaller then a couple of inches in diameter /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The mower makes chips out of the branches, but it tends to bend the tips of the blades up after a while.

I would not be the one to recomend this practice to anyone, but my MMM is doing fine after over twenty years of "chipping", mostly hemlock.

/ Finish mower blade sharpening? #9  
A nice big fine mill file and a vise. Sharpens them nicely and doesn't overheat the blade.
DaveL

/ Finish mower blade sharpening?
I was mainly concerned on the angle i tend to get it off somehow.. and not been able to get ahold of curtis to get replacement blades maybe a kk or befco blades might fit?