Finish mower or zero turn

/ Finish mower or zero turn #11  
I went from a rotary cutter to a finish mower and was amazed at how much nicer the finish was. Then I went to a zero turn mower and was amazed at how much nicer the grass looks compared to the finish mower. Unfortunately, I now like the results that I get from the zero turn so much better that I've more then doubled the amount of grass that I maintain with it!!!!

Be careful, be VERY CAREFUL!!! :laughing:

Eddie

/ Finish mower or zero turn #12  
I was enthused at the purchase of a $5600 ZTR, but got my money back the very next day. It was incapable of holding on a hill, nor could it reverse uphill. If you're a flat-lander, go for it. But if you've got hillsides - or even meaningful rises in your lawn - you'll be disappointed.

//greg//

/ Finish mower or zero turn #13  
I have mowed with both a tractor with a 3 pt finish mower, and a ZTR. The ZTR is easier, quicker and gives a better quality cut.

/ Finish mower or zero turn #14  
Everybody here seems to be missing the most important point. The ZTR is WAY more fun to mow with!!! I agree with everything else said too.

/ Finish mower or zero turn #15  
I was enthused at the purchase of a $5600 ZTR, but got my money back the very next day. It was incapable of holding on a hill, nor could it reverse uphill. If you're a flat-lander, go for it. But if you've got hillsides - or even meaningful rises in your lawn - you'll be disappointed.

//greg//

I haven't had any of these problems with my ZTR, but I don't mow hillsides. One TBN's advertisers, Ted Corriher at (http://www.(Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure)/default.asp), has invented a front-braking system for ZTRs: Zero Turn Mower Front Brakes!! Check it out [url]www.tedbrakes.com - YouTube[/URL]. Here's wishing him success.

Steve

/ Finish mower or zero turn #16  

//greg//

I can mow the side banks of my ditches without much problem, I use a Ferris IS3000. They are as steep as you would ever want to go, in fact with the JD lawn tractor I used previously, I had to go straight up and down. If the grass is wet, forget it.

/ Finish mower or zero turn #17  
I like using a 3PH RFM. With the 5 footer it took me a little over 1/2 hour per acre, and although I haven't timed mowing since getting the 6 footer I suspect it is less. Time on the tractor is therapy for me, not a race.

/ Finish mower or zero turn #18  
Until five years ago I would have said, just use the RFM. I'm always trying to save a buck. Now that I'm living in a place with more grass I will definitely recommend a zero turn. I enjoy mowing with a tractor or a zero turn and do both still. But at the house the grass needs to be mowed regardless of wether you have time or not. I found that with my schedule there wasn't enough daylight, especially at the end of the growing season, to get it done without a fast mower. Replaced my Case 254 with a woods RM59 with a Exmark Lazer Z with a 48 inch deck then "upgraded" to a 61 inch Woods diesel mower. Every step has reduced my time needed. And has allowed me to get the look I want with less time invested.

Chuck

/ Finish mower or zero turn
Thank's for all your opinions and advice, it seems pretty much unanimous that the zero turn mower is the way to go, I have been looking at a Gravely ZT XL 54"cut, do any of you know anything about the Gravely's or have an opinion on another zero turn that I should consider?

/ Finish mower or zero turn #20  
Thank's for all your opinions and advice, it seems pretty much unanimous that the zero turn mower is the way to go, I have been looking at a Gravely ZT XL 54"cut, do any of you know anything about the Gravely's or have an opinion on another zero turn that I should consider?

I think Scag and Kubota diesels are thought of as being top notch. My husqvarna is gas and does great.