Rear Finish Mower Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #11  
I have a few hours on a 72" First Choice rear discharge, and I love it. It scatters the grass so well that I really don't notice it.
Ken

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #12  
pieterv:

Glad to see you finally made it to TractorByNet. Its a great way to find out what those of us ( the masses ) need, want and are using in todays compact tractor market. As well as viewing some really unique home built project that, might easily become the next big selling useful implement to become part of our collections. Good luck in your ventures.

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #13  
I used to have a King Kutter side discharge finish mower and it worked pretty well but I got tired of the hitch arrangement and bought a Landpride rear discharge mower. The KK is fine for regular mowing but if the grass get really long, the rear discharge chops the clippings up and doesn't bog down. This has been good this spring as wet as it's been. I think the high blade tip speed on the Landpride really helps too.
18-64320-TractorsigK.JPG

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #14  
The RFM I've been borrowing from the dealer has s-d. I mow with the chute up and it bogs down a little less, but I don't like having to pay attention which way I'm throwing the grass. Especially when I get close to my one neighbors house. Due to trees, a marshy spot, my lawn not being a perfect rectangle and other things, my mowing pattern is kind of haphazard, but I must be doing something right because I've knocked my mowing time down from 5 1/2 hours the first time to 2 1/2 hours by the fifth time. There are times though, when I find myself going the "wrong" way and have to make a conscience effort to throw the clippings away from the uncut grass. Can't wait for my rear discharge to come in.

Fred

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #15  
Using a rear discharge would allow for a lawn sweeper to be towed while mowing while side discharge won't.

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #16  
What does the front roller do? Why is it better or important? thanks, bw

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #17  
The rear discharge will cut taller/heavy, damp or wet grass easier, and use less HP doing it. The reason is because the rear discharge gets rid of the grass fast, instead of haveing to move most of it all the way across the deck to throw it out!
If it was my $$, i'd be getting a Woods read discharge mower!
Robert

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge
Thanks to everyone for their input and advice./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I think I'm going to go with the majority here and pursue getting a rear discharge model. I'd better do it soon, too. Right now my grass is long enough to hide large dogs and small children./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #19  
Consider to set your new mower to mow part of the top first ( about halfd of what you need to mow ) and then to lower the deck for a second cut. Seems to get you the best results.

Enjoy !

/ Finish Mower: side discharge vs. rear discharge #20  
Let us know what you get and how you like it. I'm in the market for the best finish mower for the money, thanks, brett w