Finish mower, ZTR, or both?

/ Finish mower, ZTR, or both? #11  
Having used both a commercial level ZTR and a RFM on a tractor, on wide open fields or with rough or hilly land, the difference between the two is not great with regard to mowing speed. In tight circumstances or in a situation where there are lots of turns, which is where the ZTR makes up most of its time, the difference is greater. I have simply been unable to duplicate in my personal use (and I have a ZTR) the tremendous differences in mowing time that I have heard touted, and certainly not enough to merit the premium in cost of a new commercial ZTR over a high quality finish mower. If your property is not really rough or really hilly and has lots of turns, go ZTR, I think you would be happy. If it is fairly open and has some spotty terrain, the ZTR simply is not going to put that much time on a large tractor with a high quality RFM. It will put some on it, but we are speaking of minutes over your amount of property, and the cut quality would be similar.

John M

/ Finish mower, ZTR, or both? #12  
An in-between solution might be one of the big garden tractors with all wheel steer. JD makes a few models and I think a few other mfrs do too. Though, this will not be an inexpensive solution. The Deere's sit very wide with a low center of gravity, hug steep hills very nicely. The AWS gives them excellent maneuverabililty, not quite ZTR like, but very good.

I use a JD425 AWS (which can be found used for about $3000) on some pretty steep slopes. Not once in 13 seasons has a single wheel ever lifted of the ground. If it looses traction, it just slides slowly down the hill. Turning in the middle of a slope has never been a problem either. I've never felt like it wasn't safe. When sitting sideways on a steep slope the hardest part is staying in the seat. Even with my body leaning downhill the tractor stays rock solid . With a 54" deck, I cut 2 acres in about 1.5 hours. I have done it as fast as in one hour, but I was really speeding about. This includes "trimming" around more than 60 trees and shrubs.

Another option would be one of the articulated machines, like a powertrac or the like.

Not withstanding the weight of your tractor, just sharpening your bush hog blades is a good suggestiong. That would save you a bunch of cash.

/ Finish mower, ZTR, or both? #13  
A ZTR type mowers only advantage for time would be if there was a large amount of manuvering needed to get around objects. On rough ground the larger wheels of a tractor would fall into less diviots in the field and actually give a smoother ride for the operator. The longer runs of an open rough field would prove to be most benifical to the tractor and mower for a shorter time and comfort of the operator. We don't want to spill our liquid refreshments!

/ Finish mower, ZTR, or both? #14  
Felonious,

Next questions, how often are you going to mow everything ? If your terrain is rough, I would agree a "Tractor" is going to be more comfortable than most ZTRs. However mowing with ag tires on a hydroseeded area is just like pouring beer down the drain, a bad idea. Ruts divots and resseeding are in your future. If you plan on mowing everything every week I'd lean ZTR if you can produce the 8-9-10 mph these machines can cut at. If not maybe a set of turf tires and that Woods RM may not be a bad idea.

Hope this helps
Brian

/ Finish mower, ZTR, or both?
Ace Power Equipment said:
Felonious,

Next questions, how often are you going to mow everything ? If your terrain is rough, I would agree a "Tractor" is going to be more comfortable than most ZTRs. However mowing with ag tires on a hydroseeded area is just like pouring beer down the drain, a bad idea. Ruts divots and resseeding are in your future. If you plan on mowing everything every week I'd lean ZTR if you can produce the 8-9-10 mph these machines can cut at. If not maybe a set of turf tires and that Woods RM may not be a bad idea.

Hope this helps
Brian

I've been mowing the pasture about once a month. It's a good 5-6 hours of work on the JD with the Woods cutter. I haven't mowed more often than this, because grass height isn't an issue with the JD and Woods combo. If I had a finish mower, I'd mow it more often. However, I don't actually live at the property right now (and won't for a few years), so mowing myself every week is not going to happen in the immediate future. I was planning on getting back to mow maybe twice a month. I guess this is also something to consider carefully. If I went the ZTR route, I'd need one powerful enough to allow me to mow taller grass once or twice a month. Never having used one, I'm not sure what kind of speeds I could get on this sort of mowing cycle.

Your point about the AG tires is well taken. Thanks. The cost of prep and hydroseeding is not cheap. No matter how much I want to delude myself and save money on equipment, you have brought me back to the reality that a heavy JD tractor with AG tires driving through that area is a very bad idea. What I'm also realizing is that ZTR's are darn expensive too. I think maybe my first step should be to buy a finish mower for the JD to use on the pasture, and either buy a cheap used ride-on mower for the hydroseeded areas or pay someone to mow them with a ZTR this season until they are established. Then maybe next year I can make the switch to a ZTR myself or use the JD once those areas are well established.

BTW, putting turf tires on my JD right now really isn't an option, because I need the extra traction of the AG tires for other work I have to do on the property.

Having had no experience with ZTR's, I should probably demo a few and/or watch someone use one on my property before I make that kind of investment.

Is it a common practice for dealers to bring a ZTR out for a demo on your property as part of the sales process?

/ Finish mower, ZTR, or both? #16  
jcmseven said:
Having used both a commercial level ZTR and a RFM on a tractor, on wide open fields or with rough or hilly land, the difference between the two is not great with regard to mowing speed. In tight circumstances or in a situation where there are lots of turns, which is where the ZTR makes up most of its time, the difference is greater. I have simply been unable to duplicate in my personal use (and I have a ZTR) the tremendous differences in mowing time that I have heard touted, and certainly not enough to merit the premium in cost of a new commercial ZTR over a high quality finish mower. If your property is not really rough or really hilly and has lots of turns, go ZTR, I think you would be happy. If it is fairly open and has some spotty terrain, the ZTR simply is not going to put that much time on a large tractor with a high quality RFM. It will put some on it, but we are speaking of minutes over your amount of property, and the cut quality would be similar.

John M

This is the very reason why I have not purchased a ZTR. My property has approximately 1.5 acres that are open and failry smooth but the remaining 3.5 acres are rough and hilly. In my estimation the speed of the ZTR would be negated by the undulations of my property. Plus the cost of a good ZTR is very high when compared to a rear finish mower.