"finish" mowing with rotary cutter

/ "finish" mowing with rotary cutter #11  
Re: \"finish\" mowing with rotary cutter

Sorry guys, but I have to be the naysayer.

I have a rear finish mower and just didn't use it. I just used a shredder to mow around my yard for about 10 years because it was hooked up and I did a LOT of other rough cutting. Once I brought the finish mower out of it's rusty retirement I was shocked to see how much nicer it made my mowed areas look. It just makes everywhere look manicured. I now use it exclusively on all entry/road/yard areas of my place. It makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

My finish mower only has 2 wheels and will scalp the grass in some areas. I saw a used finish mower the other day for half of the new price. It had four wheels and I think I'm going to buy it to see if it does a better job at not scalping. 2 finish mowers can't be too many, can it?

/ "finish" mowing with rotary cutter #12  

Sorry guys, but I have to be the naysayer.

I have a rear finish mower and just didn't use it. I just used a shredder to mow around my yard for about 10 years because it was hooked up and I did a LOT of other rough cutting. Once I brought the finish mower out of it's rusty retirement I was shocked to see how much nicer it made my mowed areas look. It just makes everywhere look manicured. I now use it exclusively on all entry/road/yard areas of my place. It makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

My finish mower only has 2 wheels and will scalp the grass in some areas. I saw a used finish mower the other day for half of the new price. It had four wheels and I think I'm going to buy it to see if it does a better job at not scalping. 2 finish mowers can't be too many, can it?

/ "finish" mowing with rotary cutter #13  

I have done the same. I only brush cut the rear of my property with a RC. I recently picked up a 5 ft KK finish mower with the anti-scalp roller. Was gonna sell it just to recoup some cash. I tried it one time just to see how it would do(on its highest wheel settings) and it was a noticable improvement over the RC. I may still sell it but now I don't really want to.

/ "finish" mowing with rotary cutter #14  

I have done the same. I only brush cut the rear of my property with a RC. I recently picked up a 5 ft KK finish mower with the anti-scalp roller. Was gonna sell it just to recoup some cash. I tried it one time just to see how it would do(on its highest wheel settings) and it was a noticable improvement over the RC. I may still sell it but now I don't really want to.

/ "finish" mowing with rotary cutter

I have no doubt a RFM will give a better cut. And either way the rocks have to go. Most of the acreage that I plan to just cut with the rotary cutter is at a reasonable distance from my house or driveway, but still in sight. The ground is pretty rough under all that grass, so it would be rough on a RFM (I'm assuming they aren't as tough as a med duty rotary cutter). I have a 4ft med duty cutter for the BX and have tested the cut on part of the property - not bad at all. The area to be mowed is too large for a 4ft cutter and the ground too rough for the BX (too rough on me!). Those small tires fall into every hole!
My plan is to get a larger tractor and large rotary cutter for other parts of the property and mow the acreage in sight, but away from the driveway and house. I really want to keep the BX and will if I can afford both tractors. I have a 5 ft MMM for the BX, so I can get a fine cut along the driveway and around the house with it. If I sell the BX later on, I will have funds for a RFM! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Terry

/ "finish" mowing with rotary cutter

I have no doubt a RFM will give a better cut. And either way the rocks have to go. Most of the acreage that I plan to just cut with the rotary cutter is at a reasonable distance from my house or driveway, but still in sight. The ground is pretty rough under all that grass, so it would be rough on a RFM (I'm assuming they aren't as tough as a med duty rotary cutter). I have a 4ft med duty cutter for the BX and have tested the cut on part of the property - not bad at all. The area to be mowed is too large for a 4ft cutter and the ground too rough for the BX (too rough on me!). Those small tires fall into every hole!
My plan is to get a larger tractor and large rotary cutter for other parts of the property and mow the acreage in sight, but away from the driveway and house. I really want to keep the BX and will if I can afford both tractors. I have a 5 ft MMM for the BX, so I can get a fine cut along the driveway and around the house with it. If I sell the BX later on, I will have funds for a RFM! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Terry

/ "finish" mowing with rotary cutter #17  

I've had great luck by sharpening my rotary cutter blade more like a lawnmower.. with a good edge, rather than like it should be fro brush.. which is like a 1/16 flat.

Soundguy

/ "finish" mowing with rotary cutter #18  

I've had great luck by sharpening my rotary cutter blade more like a lawnmower.. with a good edge, rather than like it should be fro brush.. which is like a 1/16 flat.

Soundguy