Finished hand controls for paraplegic

/ Finished hand controls for paraplegic
Very impressive hand controls and thanks for sharing the video.

Just a word of advice though. I'm not sure how the Mahindra steering is set up under the steering wheel, but on the Massey, they warn against using the steering wheel as a grab handle because it will tear the seals out of the unit. If yours is like that, could you fabricate a grab handle of some sort to minimize any stresses on the steering control box?

I did not see any such warning in my manual, and thus far all is well. Placing additional obstacles is problematic in allowing access. As you can see, getting on is a pretty uncontrolled maneuver.

/ Finished hand controls for paraplegic #42  
I did not see any such warning in my manual, and thus far all is well. Placing additional obstacles is problematic in allowing access. As you can see, getting on is a pretty uncontrolled maneuver.
Yes, I saw that. I could see me falling flat on my face if I attempted such a maneuver.

I mentioned about the steering leak because it happened to a friend of mine that has a GC2300(his wife used the steering wheel as a grab handle), and I seem to remember a couple threads here on TBN, about the same type of problem.

/ Finished hand controls for paraplegic #43  
that is a very impressive bit of work Kooch, thanks for sharing the video.
You are an inspiration to me :thumbsup:- and although I have no mechanical know-how (office jobs), I do have a hobby farm. I appreciated the video showing your efforts of getting on/ off the tractor, as I have some familiarity with those same challenges (cerebral palsy, wheelchair experiences), currently needing to seriously consider a walker for more stability around the property. probably will get an old tractor this year that my wife can use for the bees / yardwork, but for my purposes, my goal is a Kubota B3030 (or similar) in a few yrs. glad I found this thread, I will keep in touch.

I use a walker or forearm crutches now and use a folding step to get to my steps, Timber has a thread on making an adjustable step off the FEL mount and I am sure grab rails etc., could also be attached. Adjustment sometimes require a little thought, ingenuity etc., but it's worth it to keep going.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/258009-step-my-dads-7610-kubota.html

Last edited:
That is awesome! Glad you are still kicking

/ Finished hand controls for paraplegic #45  
Thanks for posting this kootch.I was recently diagnosed with MS and now I'm having trouble lifting my right leg on and off the treadle for the HST.I was hoping to find a modification that would allow a side-by-side foot pedal that way I could operate the FEL at the same time.Bravo to you for finding a way to overcome that particular challenge.

/ Finished hand controls for paraplegic #46  
HHAHAHA Yep, I sure am a "pig" been at it 28 years, MC accident too. I've been making hand controls for things for a long time, this one was actually easier except I don't weld and had to rely other people to do that for me. The first set was 3/4 round stock and pipe fittings to figure out what I really wanted to do. It worked well, but looked lousy and also got in the way of my feet. This solves all problems and also has the advantage of me being able to operate the loader with my forearm as I work the bucket. Major advantage.

Are you really able to operate the loader lever while operating the HST with your forearm? I've been trying to figure out a way for years to operate the FEL and HST with one arm at the same time. I've done a simple lever like this on several tractors. lippert 2.jpg

/ Finished hand controls for paraplegic #47  
Amazing job Kootch. I admire your problem-solving and perseverance.

A couple of small suggestions:

For starting the tractor, why not wire in a momentary switch to bypass the clutch pedal safety switch? Doing so would mean no more jamming down on your leg to close the actual clutch switch. Instead, you just push in on the momentary with one hand while turning the key with the other. You could start the tractor either way, but the momentary would be just for you :).

For welding, have you looked at an inexpensive Harbor Freight MIG model? Just add the shielding gas for MIG. I think a 110A costs around $200 before the gas/hookups.

/ Finished hand controls for paraplegic #48  
I am humbled and impressed on your strength to overcome your disability.

Topher265,, good idea. A button of some sort on the dash to bypass the foot one.
Also, maybe some sort of loading dock where your wheelchair would be "level" with your tractor,
would eliminate the stress on the steering wheel, perhaps.

/ Finished hand controls for paraplegic #49  
Nice job Kootch.

Looks like something useful even if one is not paraplegic.

I might do something similar to make it easier to run my rear mounted snowblower in reverse. As it is now when I turn to look over my right shoulder and step my heel on the reverse pedal, it's pretty awkward and I often hit my joy stick with my knee.

Amazing job Kootch. I admire your problem-solving and perseverance.

A couple of small suggestions:

For starting the tractor, why not wire in a momentary switch to bypass the clutch pedal safety switch? Doing so would mean no more jamming down on your leg to close the actual clutch switch. Instead, you just push in on the momentary with one hand while turning the key with the other. You could start the tractor either way, but the momentary would be just for you :).

For welding, have you looked at an inexpensive Harbor Freight MIG model? Just add the shielding gas for MIG. I think a 110A costs around $200 before the gas/hookups.

I missed the part about the switch!! 2 years later, but I think I will do just that, thanks for the suggestion.