Finishing Mowers and Protection

/ Finishing Mowers and Protection #11  
Carl, doesn't the gearbox have a vent to keep it from building up pressure? I don't know whether it's supposed to or not, but I read something (I believe on the CTB) about drilling a small hole in a cap or plug if it didn't already have a vent. Does anyone else know whether they are all supposed to be vented? Of course my Bush Hog finish mower will only be a year old in a couple of weeks, as will my Howse rotary cutter, but my Bush Hog tiller is over 5 years old, and I've not had a problem with gearboxes or leaks on any of them yet.

Bird

/ Finishing Mowers and Protection #12  
I've got an older IH-500 rotary cutter and it has no vent. So as for others I can't say but I've never had a problem with seals blowing knock on wood!! The seals have been replaced either once or twice but thats after lots of hard use. I've sheared a few bolts but thats what its there for--stumps do a number on the shear bolt if I'm not careful. Also I've never tore up a gearbox knock on wood again. With that said I'll probly blow a seal right after I rip the gears out of it tomorrow.

After reading this thread I would think twice about using a finish on anything else than a golf course!
Gordon

/ Finishing Mowers and Protection #13  
Sounds like there are lots of finish mowers that need to be rotary cutters. I can just see the 1/2 in x 4 inch blades on my rotary cutter wearing out from mowing grass on sandy soil. Yes, the Bush Hog 260 Medium Duty Rotary Mower has a vented 110HP gearbox.

/ Finishing Mowers and Protection #14  
8/2

Hey folks, would you forgive me for asking a slightly off topic but related question?

What is the spec for the lube one would normally find in a rotary cutter gearbox? I just examined the box on my Ford 951 to get it ready for its new owner and it seemed a bit thicker than what I recalled from before. Dealer just serviced this hog last fall, so whatever is in there should be right.

Btw I see 2 holes in the 951's gearbox, but even the smaller one higher up has a plug screwed into it, so I don't see how it can "vent".

Thanks!
Jim

/ Finishing Mowers and Protection #15  
Jim, the manuals for my Bush Hog finish mower and tiller both call for 80W-90 gear oil in the gearbox, while the manual for my Howse rotary cutter calls for 85W-140 gear oil. When I bought the tiller (5 years ago) and the finish mower (1 year ago) they were delivered to my house ready to use, and I've never needed to add any oil. But I picked up the rotary cutter at the dealer's place, just as it came off the truck (some assembly required) and the dealer told me to be sure to put oil in the gearbox since they came without it. However, when I got home I found the gearbox was full and it appears to be about twice as thick as the oil specified, but it's stayed full for a year now. I not only check the oil level occasionally but feel the gearboxes after running awhile. Of course, they feel pretty warm, but never hot.

Bird

/ Finishing Mowers and Protection
Bird -

No, my finishing mower has no vent but I believe I can replace the top filler plug with a vented one. I am looking at doing that because of my experiences with blown seals. After about 2 hours of mowing in 90 degree weather, my gearbox gets very hot. You can't touch it. I have drained all the stock fluid out of the gearbox and replaced it with Mobile 1 Synthetic Gear Lube to try and reduce the friction and cool the gearbox. I just trust synthetics more in high temperature and stress environments.

I should have mentioned one other thing about the blades for the LandPride Mower. The stock blades were orignally high lift blades and look like they were made out of what I call "cheap push mower" grade steel. I also thought the blades were very fragile because they pitted so easily. Apparently there were an awful lot of complaints for these inferior blades. When I went to the dealer to get a new set of blades, the new blades were much heavier and better built. These blades were low lift and are almost twice the thickness and weight of the old blades. So far they are holding up MUCH better than the old blades and I've mowed about 20 acres with them. All this means is I'll tear up more of the drivetrain next time I hit something I shouldn't.

Yes, finishing mowers are perfect for Golf Course fairways but keep them out of the rough, sand and water.