Firefox, and suddenly swamped with ads?

/ Firefox, and suddenly swamped with ads? #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
It's not you or TBN, it's the system. :)

I read elsewhere that Mozilla overlooked renewing a certificate. So Friday when the certificate expired, most add-ons were perceived as illegitimate, and became disabled. It's a Mozilla problem, not a user or website issue. Not a crisis just a nuisance.

Mozilla has rolled out a patch for desktop users. Nothing yet for Android.

Add-ons disabled or fail to install on Firefox | Mozilla Support

/ Firefox, and suddenly swamped with ads? #2  
Hard to believe there is one point of failure for millions of Firefox users and nobody at Mozilla was responsible for fixing and/or monitoring it! Time for some heads to roll. :mad:

/ Firefox, and suddenly swamped with ads? #3  
Use Brave browser for ad free browsing....FF is heading down the IE road with users...

/ Firefox, and suddenly swamped with ads? #4  
I never really considered FF 'safe'. It was always a crippled version of a real browser. It started out a a limited version of the full Miozilla suite and took on a life outside there for reasons I'll never understand.

/ Firefox, and suddenly swamped with ads? #5  
Open up a browser window and type about:studies in the address bar.
If you see "hotfix...1548973 active" you already have the FF patch in place and your add ons should work as usual.

If you don't see that specific fix, open up Privacy and Security in your FF options menu and scroll down to FF data collection area. Then check the box for "Allow FF to install and run studies". This will automatically download and install the fix (won't be instantaneous though).

I uninstalled and reinstalled my ad blocker and VPN just to make sure.

/ Firefox, and suddenly swamped with ads? #6  
I never really considered FF 'safe'. It was always a crippled version of a real browser. It started out a a limited version of the full Miozilla suite and took on a life outside there for reasons I'll never understand.
Just curious...What do you deem a "real browser"...? SeaMonkey?

/ Firefox, and suddenly swamped with ads? #7  
I just noticed it last night. Figured they would have it fixed today but last time I checked it I still couldn't put my adblock back in.

Figured if they didn't care enough to act faster than that it was time for a change.

/ Firefox, and suddenly swamped with ads? #8  
About two months ago FF notified me that there was an update. When installed it caused FF to act weird here on Mojave. I dumped it. There are plenty more browsers out there in the ocean. I'm using Opera as an alternate and it works just fine for me.

/ Firefox, and suddenly swamped with ads? #9  

Years back the CEO of FF went full progressive ****** ala google. twitter etc. so the main founder of FF browser left.
Forgot much of this history now but I think he went on to create another browser.
I use it on occasion but use Brave mostly.

"THEY" just fixed their fubar. All my themes and add ons finally got enabled again.

/ Firefox, and suddenly swamped with ads? #10  
There is a workaround if you have something like AdBlock plus that is disabled. Go to about:config, scroll clear to the bottom and find the boolean xpinstall.signatures.required and click on it to toggle to false.