First 2 days of a TC45DA.

/ First 2 days of a TC45DA. #1  

byax65

Bronze Member
Tractor
TC45DA, JD 317,Bolens GK
Well,

Tried to post some pics but the file sizes are too large. Gotta find an easy way to shrink them. Tractor arrived thursday afternoon, without the crated cab, they forgot to load it at the dealership, no big deal, it was promptly dropped off the next day.

My dad arrived soon after the tractor to give it the look over. Before long he suggested we head to the back of the property (tree lines, overgrown horse pastures). I had already walked back there earlier and saw that the back acreage was mud to standing water. He jumped on the JD 317 2wd, I laughed and said that he'd get nowhere on that. He said something about the chains and wheel weights should keep him moving. Opened the pole barn side door, he pulled out and got stuck, 3 feet outside the barn. haha. Brought the new Boomer around and hooked a rope from the FEL to the JD blade and pulled him free. Figured he would go back into the barn. Wrong /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, he takes off down to the back. By the time I stash the rope and follow with the NH, he's buried down to the back axle again, in three inches of standing water and muck. Not wanting to 'dirty' my new toy so soon, I try to push him out by hand. Doesn't work. Okay, pull the Boomer around into the muck, tires sink front and back at least 18", tires completely mud caked. Pull him free no problem. But now the Boomer is stuck in it's own ruts. Takes 15 minutes, but I finally get the hang of using the FEL to push me free. By the time I get back to the barn, the tractor is pretty dirty, mud lying on the hood, dash, etc. Boomer receives first bath, in 37 degree weather not fun. End Day 1.

Day 2: Too cold, Too windy. Go to barn, stare at tractor. Go in house, build fire. End Day 2

Day 3, Get up the nerve to try the back again, there's a hilly tree line I've been trying to cut a path thru so my daughter's can get there golf carts thru. Success, fight thru the muck/water leaving a deep trench along the way. Surprised at how easily the loader cuts into the dirt and scoops away brush and sod. (Granted it was soft). Continuing along the trail discover a large (15-18" diameter, with two smaller 12" trunked tree lying in the way of my new trail. The boomer pushes it aside without any hesitation. Now this is getting fun. Spent the next few hours moving dirt from some high ground down onto the low spots to fill in the trenches. Starts to get cold and dark so head back for the night. She's dirty again, but now the hoses are frozen over so bath #2 will have to wait.
END DAY 3.

Items of Note:

The cup holder is too shallow. My Beer toppled over and fell to ground as soon as I began moving.

Opened the box containing the cab. Doesn't seem like much for a thousand dollars. But I'll reserve final judgement till I assemble it. The canvas sides seem kinda thin and flimsy. And why it was gonna cost $600 for the dealer to install is beyond me.

Other than that, WHAT A TRACTOR! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Byax

/ First 2 days of a TC45DA. #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The cup holder is too shallow. My Beer toppled over and fell to ground as soon as I began moving.
)</font>

Spillin' beer on your tractor is part of the christening ceremony. Now you can get to work. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just wait until you get that first big scratch. Sigh.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ First 2 days of a TC45DA. #3  
Byax if you think it cuts well now, then add one of these to your bucket. It's like putting your bucket on steroids.

Attachments

• 390870-lights.jpg
    390870-lights.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 218
   / First 2 days of a TC45DA.
Pineridge, will that cut into harder ground? I'm assuming that it bolts on like the cutting edge I have? How much does one of them go for? Jinman, your right, but need a way to protect future beer supply. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Any of you see a safety problem with building a basket for the forks to climb into and do high work such as second story on the house etc?

byax

/ First 2 days of a TC45DA. #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any of you see a safety problem with building a basket for the forks to climb into and do high work such as second story on the house etc?
)</font>

Once you use your tractor long enough to have faith in the hydraulics, your safety is probably related to who you have sitting on the tractor operating the joystick. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ First 2 days of a TC45DA. #6  
Byax65 the guys here at the TBN site beat me with a ball bat for a couple of months before they convinced me that tooth-bars were a worthwhile investment. My head still hurts /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I'm stubborn sometimes when it comes to spending money. But the tooth-bar will make all the difference in the world in your digging ability.

Tooth-bars are made by a number of manufactures so there are a lot of choices. I remove the factory bolt on replaceable edge to install the tooth-bar that I purchased. They interchange pretty easily. The holes were already drilled in my bucket to mount the tooth-bar. The tooth-bar comes off in the winter for working with the snow and goes back on for working in the dirt.

I ordered mine right from my NH dealer. It was made by FFC and can be seen at their web site click here
Cost for a 72" was $318.33

If you are serious about adding a better drink holder, without drilling holes click here

Good luck!

Jinman,

Actually I'm thinking I'd raise the platform than throw a ladder up to it and climb up. I'm not ready to trust the Mrs. to safely lift me. Wondering if anyone else out there has done anything like this.

Pineridge,

That's pretty slick, where'd you find that link, on this website? Too bad I just got back from home depot, that'd have made a nice project on this cold wet day.

BY

And I like that tooth bar, but I need to sell my former home before I can do anymore upgrades. But it's definitely on my wish list if it works that well. Thanks for the info.

BY

/ First 2 days of a TC45DA. #9  
<font color="blue"> Pineridge,

That's pretty slick, where'd you find that link, on this website? Too bad I just got back from home depot, that'd have made a nice project on this cold wet day.
</font>

Byax65 the pictures and instructions that you saw were all a very small part of my web site. I put the site together over a period of years. It is still expanding with products that we keep adding. Glad you liked the improvements. It will save you from losing your beer. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif