First electric tractor ride

/ First electric tractor ride #121  
Salesman came buy the dealership yesterday peddling a Solectrac (spl?) tractor. The owner jumped on and rode it around for awhile. He said it was pretty smooth running, quiet and responsive. The salesman stated that this tractor would save over $12,000 in fuel costs over a similar diesel powered machine in a 10 yr period. The battery was good for that long and I asked about a battery purchase price. He didn't know the answer to that one and kept saying "it's guaranteed for 10 yrs. What tractor company do you know of that guarantees their engine for that long"?
At any rate, the tractor was good for 3-6 hrs on a charge and would charge in 8 hrs on a 220 circuit. It weighed similar to a fueled tractor of that size at 2300 lbs.
MSRP price was $28,000. Came with ags on it. Industrial and turfs were about $1500 more and a loader was about $4600.

In my opinion, It has its place for light use like on a horse farm of small garden or short driveway. If your climate gets below freezing in the winter, you have to heat up the battery with a blanket for it to take a charge. It is a lithium/iron battery that itself must be at 32*
My overall impression was that it was nice for what it was and has its place for someone.
I wouldn't buy it to save the planet as some believe electrics will but I guess its main thrust is towards convenience.
I don't think it would like pulling a 2000 lb log behind it for long or plowing out a 1000 foot driveway with 15" of snow. There is no front pto mount for it as yet..
cet-electric-tractor
There may be a 10 year warranty but it will be pro-rated on the battery. I would recommend you go to you tube and look at the Ford electric pickup compared to a Chevrolet conventional pickup towing lightweight camping trailers. It didn't go well for the electric.
Europe is years ahead of US when it comes to electric vehicles, when there farmers switch it might be viable.

/ First electric tractor ride #122  
However, it drives me nuts when marketing gets involved.
Our VP of technology used to say "The only difference between Sales and Marketing, is that Sales aren't aware they're lying."

I might have given this a thought, except 25 HP is too small and the 70 HP version has no FEL. Also, neither has a cab option. I've learned to appreciate AC on +100'F days and the fact that running over a Yellowjacket nest or through a Banana spider's web is not a concern with a cab.

They claim an 80,000 hour service life which can be interpreted in many ways. One way to look at it is parts availability is gone at just over 9 years.

Battery life is one thing, But, I notice this is a 72 volt and apparently a variable frequency drive (VFD) system. The motor will probably outlast everything, but the controls? Not too sure how proprietary a 72V VFD is.

I'm sure a few years from now electrics will be prevalent, but I think it'll take a while for the industry to decide upon standards. I figure by then I'll probably be dead or not allowed to operate one.

/ First electric tractor ride #124  
!
2022_08_26_17.25.20.jpg
2022_08_18_21.22.11.jpg
2022_08_06_21.25.33.jpg

/ First electric tractor ride #127  
   / First electric tractor ride #128  
Dozers are meant for one thing.. Hard pushing. So half a day and the latter half of a day on a very large extension cord. Keep in mind that the now defunct Gem of Egypt and the Silver Spade we both 100% electric powered strip mine shovels and so was the 'Big Muskie', the worlds largest dragline. They had some HUGE extension cords. Back then electricity was plentiful and cheap. Today it is neither and getting worse as demand grows.

/ First electric tractor ride #129  
Not in our lifetime.
Cali has approved a state ban and Australia banking will no longer provide vehicle loans. Both are based on future dates.
LA Times celebrates California’s move to ban gas-powered cars by 2035 in favor of electric vehicles

LA Times celebrates California’s move to ban gas-powered cars by 2035 in favor of electric vehicles

Rep. AOC claims that if don’t go green immediately, we only have 9 more years until life on the planet ends.
Ocasio-Cortez calls climate change ‘our World War II,’ warns the world will end in 12 years

Ocasio-Cortez calls climate change ‘our World War II,’ warns the world will end in 12 years

There might be some really good used tractor deals coming out of California in the near future?