First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #11  
There is a sale on filters now thru John Deere, though some may vary on discounts. Most now are doing 15% off all filters. LVA13038 is pricy at 52 bucks, is made by donaldson, but is much better quality than fram.

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #12  
I just bought my JD filters and took advantage of the discount.

I brought mine back at 50 hours and had it serviced, but now I am doing the 200 hour service. I have changed everything but am intimidated with the hydraulic system. Is a strap wrench all thats needed to get the hydraulic filter off? I am nervous removing that back filter and cleaning the magnets.....

I plan on buying a new oil catcher and marking it just for hydraulic oil so I can reuse the oil if it looks good without getting it contaminated with any engine oil that would be left in my old oil catcher.

I like what your saying Sunnyside as I put about 100 to 150 hours a year, so I plan on doing all the oils and filters each spring when its warm enough and before the bugs get nasty. First time is a bit intimidating.

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #13  
Only change oil, filter as it specifies in the Owners manual. Filter is easy to change with any filter wrench or strap type, but can be quite tight for first change. There are no magnets around filter, but one may be integrated into the drain plug. Do not put any drained oil back into the tractor.

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #14  
I plan on buying a new oil catcher and marking it just for hydraulic oil so I can reuse the oil if it looks good without getting it contaminated with any engine oil that would be left in my old oil catcher.

Oh, Jesus! Don't try to recycle oil and put it back because it "looks" OK. Just because you can't see any contaminants or particulants with the naked eye DOES NOT mean that the oil is brand new and ready for lubrication duties. Saving $50 per year on oil for an $8,000+ engine, transmission, & hydraulic system is not very cost effective in the long run if you have a problem.

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #15  
The PO used JD filters when he serviced hydraulic system in our backhoe. I bought WIX because they are said to be high quality.

They may be but ours are the cansister type. JD uses large rubber seals on each end of the filter element where as WIX only has small hard felt like seals in the same location.

I would NOT put 400 hour fluid back in as others have suggested as a NO NO. An old dump truck/trailer with water logged hydraulic fluid would be a better place to recycle it. A tractor even without FEL or HOE use can put more wear on hydraulic fluid in 100 hours that many farm dump trailers/trucks would put on the fluid in 100 years. :thumbsup:

Cleaning the intake suction screen should NOT be skipped. Our old JD 310B BH filter was covered with something that looked like the lint on the dryer screen after drying a load of cotton towels except oil soaked. Pumps starved for fluid can cavitate. Below is a good article from Parker to help understand why we should service our equipment well and not run milky fluids.

Keep Your Hydraulic System Running

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #16  
I will only buy the John Deere filters, Baldwin filters, Fleetguard, some cases Donaldson. Wix is one i do avoid after seeing a cut-out version of it next to the ones I use. IF Your screen had a lint like stuff stuck on it, it means that your filter possibly collapsed, sending some fibers into the system. I have checked the screens, at most should only see a random metal filing at first change and again after 6000 hours. otherwise they should be quite clean.