first maintenance on new tractor

/ first maintenance on new tractor #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Made it sound like a dealer MUST perform the service. )</font>
Well, I'm in a heap of trouble then. I've been doing all of mine, buying the parts from my dealer. He never mentioned a thing about it. The book also doesn't say it's required that I noticed. John

/ first maintenance on new tractor #12  
"Made it sound like a dealer MUST perform the service."

BS!! You have every right to perform warranty service (or any other service, for that matter) yourself or by anyone else you choose. The only question that arises is how you document that the service has been performed and performed correctly.

I did my own 50 hour service on my Kubota B7800. I kept the invoices for filters, fluids, etc. I also document performance of each item in the owner's manual service matrix by checking it off and noting the date performed. That (unless I am found to have concocted it all) will be sufficient evidence that the service items were in fact performed on the dates recorded.

As for "properly" h*ll, how do you know that the dealer did 'em properly.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bottom line: I wouldn't have any hesitation in performing ANY service yourself that you are confident you are competent to perform, so long as you document it carefully at the time.

Just my $.02

/ first maintenance on new tractor #13  
Now that we're talking maintenance, I tried to make a spreadsheet maint. log based on things the manual said to do. Has anyone else done this?

Yoyo

/ first maintenance on new tractor #14  
Should be easy to pop out in excel.. or even with a pencil, ruler and paper.

I've seen some manuals with maintenance matrix's in the back of them too. I know there was one floating around onthe yanmar sub.. perhaps you could find it.. modify it and print it?

Soundguy

/ first maintenance on new tractor #15  
If you would like to experiment with a software based maintenance log then I suggest Chris' Auto Recorder. I have been using it for some months and it prints out service reminders due on my tractor as well as my SUV. Pretty neat stuff! Check it out click here

/ first maintenance on new tractor #16  
Maddog,
I also have a B7800. What all did you change and how much did you pay for parts? I am getting close to 50hrs.

Thanks much!!

/ first maintenance on new tractor #17  
I just did my 50 hour maintenance this weekend. Changed all filters and replaced all oils (over 12 gallons!). This went a lot smoother than I thought it would and I didn't have any problems. There was a surprising amount of metal in the hydro/transmission suction filter, but my dealer had told me to expect this on the first oil change.

I asked my dealer about self service and warranty and he said there would not be any problems.

It took me about 2.5 hours to do all this, but I was moving slow and had to locate all the plugs, get the right wrench sizes, etc. I would say that on the 100 hour service I will get it done in less than 1 hour now that I know where everyhting is and how to do it.

/ first maintenance on new tractor
To answer half of my own question - the parts and oils run about $250. Haven't done the work yet, so I can't say how long it's taken (that would be the Saturday project), but let's say they run at $60/hour for labor (thats a standard mechanic rate around here) that's 6 and half hours of work if the job really costs $625! Hmmmm

/ first maintenance on new tractor #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...the parts and oils run about $250. ...)</font>

WOW !!! How much oil does this tractor take? Are they/you going to put synthetics in? My filter costs from the dealer were/are:

air filter @ ~$43
Hydro @ ~$27
oil filter @ ~$15

grease @ ~$4
Spent ~$70 on dino oils.

Thats ~$159 total and 2.5 hours of my time and I greased EVERYTHING.

/ first maintenance on new tractor
The filters were $123 - four of them One was $59, can't remember the others and they're in a box not here.

Apparently draining the entire hydraulic system is part of this - Ineed to call and really make sure this is necessary. That was the oil charge 13 gallons of hydraulic fluid.