First Pictures: "The Land"

/ First Pictures: "The Land" #31  
Re: First Pictures: \"The Land\"

blurrybill,Thanks for the great pictures of an awesome piece of land.We live just South of you,in Mo. Property like yours is very rare indeed. I'm also surprised the land did'nt fall claim to the plow years ago. Someone must have been keeping an eye on it,knowing that one day a grateful steward would show up and take over for a while.

/ First Pictures: "The Land"

Rob,

The Land is about 10 minutes north of the small town where we live (6 miles north). All is paved with the exception if the last mile. We don't mind this as the county road is well-maintained. Also, the gravel will limit future development, although a recent study indicated that our part of the county is least likely to experience growth -- a positive result for us.
We will be about 1 mile from the Des Moines river.

We plan on starting construction in late September; have our builder lined up and at present we are working on the design.

I noticed from your profile that your family is building, too. I'll start a new thread under Projects when we get things going. There are a couple of other threads that are really interesting (see "house"). Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for the nice remarks.

Bill

Thanks, Mike

Wish I had your tractor experience, but I guess that will come in time. We'll do our best to preserve what is there. I told the architect, who fell in love with the land, that we really shouldn't be building there, but we felt thrilled with the opportunity. The house will probably be prairie style, but with lots of glass so we can invite the land inside.

Bill

/ First Pictures: "The Land" #34  

Bill,

What a wonderful property. It is great that both you and your wife find the trees and nature there, spiritual. I can tell you from my own experience that moving on to a home with some decent land is spiritual.

Sometimes these changes require bold decisions, Congratulations.

Please keep us informed!

Buck

/ First Pictures: "The Land" #35  

Yes, we are indeed in the building process and really enjoying it. In fact, the "house" thread is mine. Attached is a slightly more up-to-date picture. I only wish we had the big trees you've got. We have some around the edges (though not as big) and several hundred "sticks" we've planted. they'll be giants for our kids kids kids, I guess. Good luck with your building project /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Attachments

• 35-153984-Front.JPG
    35-153984-Front.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 81
Re: First Pictures:

RobS,

Sorry I didn't make the connection, but I've enjoyed checking in from time to time on your new home progress. It must be thrilling to see it take shape. Bet it's more difficult now that the form is complete. Hope you're not up on that pitch putting on the shingles! I'd love the view from the top, but not outside on that roof! You are a model for a comprehensive post on house construction. Ours may not be that complete, but it will be fun sharing our progress. Thanks again for your interest. Planting all those trees is stewardship, too. Great for the kids to watch them grow and be a part of the future. -- they'll experience the attachment. Good for them and your whole family.

Bill

/ First Pictures: "The Land" #37  

Great looking place you got yourself there Bill. Please do not worry about boring us (me at least) with beautiful pictures of your property. It gives us all something to aspire to.

/ First Pictures: "The Land" #38  

RobS,

I had your house picture up and everyone who walked by my desk thought it was my house. We actually should be doing the foundation next week. I have to try and resize some photo's so I can post the progress.

Looks great. Lookig forward to the next update.

/ First Pictures: "The Land" #39  

Ah, I can see the homestead now. Is that a rocking chair on the front porch? Where are you going to put the toybox (barn) for the John Deere?

Dave

Actually, the tractor shed will be a leanto structure away from the house. Will probably have a garage building separate from the house and later we'll build a breezeway as $ permits. Picts later!

Bill